What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vision

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
For my entire life I have had 20-20 vision however I am know in my mid 50's and I am noticing the small print starting to get harder to read. What are the rules on vision with regard to passing a third class.

Pat

The worst thing is that you may have a notation on your medical that you need to be wearing corrective lenses while exercising your class priviledges. No big deal.

Roberta

Thanks,

My curiosity is at what point is it an issue if my vision continues to get worse over the next several years.

Pat

?67.303 Eye.

Eye standards for a third-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) Distant visual acuity of 20/40 or better in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If corrective lenses (spectacles or contact lenses) are necessary for 20/40 vision, the person may be eligible only on the condition that corrective lenses are worn while exercising the privileges of an airman certificate.

(b) Near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at 16 inches in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses.

(c) Ability to perceive those colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties.

(d) No acute or chronic pathological condition of either eye or adnexa that interferes with the proper function of an eye, that may reasonably be expected to progress to that degree, or that may reasonably be expected to be aggravated by flying.

Pat,

My suggestion is to get a copy of the vision requirements and give them to your regular ophthalmologist. He/She can tell you how close to the test minimums you are adn give you options.

I've worn glasses most of my life and like you am seeing some changes now that I've passed the half-century mark. My eye doctor knows the requirements for the AME exam. So, she keeps those details in me chart and we discuss options for both my "day to day" needs and my flying needs.

This way, there are no surprises when I go for my flight medical.

For my entire life I have had 20-20 vision however I am know in my mid 50's and I am noticing the small print starting to get harder to read. What are the rules on vision with regard to passing a third class.

Pat

I "Feel" you Brahda!

I used to be able to read what was written on the "Wright Flyer" struts on our license!

I often wonder how I would have built needing glasses.

Good luck :D

I went the other direction. Been wearing glasses since the 4th grade (1953).
Had "Crystalens" implanted November of 2012. No glasses since. FANTASTIC!

Just this weekend I finally reached the point where I needed a pair of reading glasses to be able to read the numbers on a DB connector while doing wiring. I know what that means for me in the next few years...

readers vs. scrips

You might find "readers" in a 1.25 or 1.50 to work just fine.
Buy them by the 3 pack at Wally World.... you will lose them now and then.
My last medical... I forgot mine. Reached over and used the Doc's readers.
He laughed. The third class just says they must be in my possession.

I received a pair of "Grampa" reading glasses for my birthday when I turned 40 as a gag gift. I tried them on and picked up a magazine and a whole new world opened up for me! Been using them ever since.

I bought my first pair of "bi-focal" sunglasses (built-in 1.5 readers) at one of the hangar booths at Oshkosh this summer.

Probably gonna have to change my hair color to gray on my next medical too.

I'd better stock up on Centrum Silver and Geritol since I guess I'm now officially an old geezer.

Glasses

I bought my first pair of "bi-focal" sunglasses (built-in 1.5 readers) at one of the hangar booths at Oshkosh this summer.

Probably gonna have to change my hair color to gray on my next medical too.

I'd better stock up on Centrum Silver and Geritol since I guess I'm now officially an old geezer.

Same here. My ME was also my GP and one medical some time ago he told me I should get my eyes checked. DOH! No only did I need reading bifocals, I needed prescription lenses too. It happens so slowly, most don't notice it. I bought regular and sunglasses in my prescription with the bifocal. Nice to see 20-15 again.
On a side note I got sick of the prices and ordered from Zenni Optical online. Price was very good but it does take a lot of care to get the right fit. I'm happy with both the regular and sunglasses.
http://www.zennioptical.com/

On my last physical I could not read the 20/30 line for my commercial driver cert, I was reading the chart down the hall with florescent lighting, the Dr. then got out an incandescent lamp and shined it on the chart, big difference and I could then read the 20/30 line on the chart.

Thanks for the feedback, this site is great and well worth my yearly contribution. I do however read this site with my IPAD and using one power readers.

Pat

I had to use tri-focals since age 60, until

I had to have cataract surgery --- like Mel, I went with the multifocal lense implant (mine are "Restore" lenses). For the past four years, no glasses needed for anything and no waiver on my medical ------ love it!

YES! don't count on your AME eye test!

On my last physical I could not read the 20/30 line for my commercial driver cert, I was reading the chart down the hall with florescent lighting, the Dr. then got out an incandescent lamp and shined it on the chart, big difference and I could then read the 20/30 line on the chart.

I've never been to an AME where the eye chart was properly illuminated or positioned! I can always see much better at the optometrist, so you can get them to sign a note that says what he/she observed your vision to be.
same with the colour book.....take it out of the office to a window, and see what pops u! ( or try with your tinted sunglasses on ...for fun...as that's how we read things most of the time!)
...this also works with blood pressure, ( much lower when your license doesn't depend on it!!!).......hearing ( audiogram from work)etc.

at least with my doc. ymmv

Toric lens implant for cataracts

I've been nearsighted since age 12, first wearing glasses and then at 17 wearing contact lenses. I was a candidate for lasic surgery, but got along with the contacts. Then at age 63, I had cataract surgery and opted for Toric lenses which correct for both nearsightedness and astigmatism. I have 20-15 (R) and 20-20 (L) without glasses and wear 2.0 readers from WalMart to satisfy the FAA, although my reading vision in my left eye is excellent.

Sometimes there are benefits to getting old! :cool:

Back