What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basic aircraft design

loopfuzz

Well Known Member
Fun way to learn about aircraft design using pictures.

qoJjVPu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The diagram references a "game". What is that?

It's a reference to Kerbal Space Program. The player builds rockets and other vehicles out of various component parts and launches three goofy little green guys into space. The physics work like real life (in terms of lift/drag/thrust, orbital mechanics, etc), though the scale is changed. Playing a similar game/simulator when I was younger taught me the qualitative side of orbital mechanics and made it much easier to understand things when I got to the quantitative side in senior-level classes.

For those with android devices, there is a simpler version called Simple Rockets.

There is an error in the second drawing about center of lift. The horizontal tail "lift" arrows should be pointing down. And it may be a scale thing, but the CG probably shouldn't be behind the trailing edge of the main wing.

This is neat... Where did this come from? I see that a mod has removed an outside link, perhaps someone could PM me if the source is somewhere that shall not be named...

There is an error in the second drawing about center of lift. The horizontal tail "lift" arrows should be pointing down. And it may be a scale thing, but the CG probably shouldn't be behind the trailing edge of the main wing.

Dont aerodynamic engineer types call any flight surface generated force "lift" even if it is not vectored away from the earths center??

And, I believe the drawing is showing the C/L, not the C/G.

Back