What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seattle Move

There are a ton of us here!

Where will you live/work? On the Eastside (Bellevue/Redmond) we have an active chapter with lots of RV activity. See http://www.eaa1440.org. Love to see any/all builders at our meetings, which are the third Tuesday of each month.

Welcome to the NW!

Look at the up-side, at least it won't be 10 below zero for weeks on end! :) Welcome to greenry, mountains, and some pretty awsome flying. Even with the winter gloom I manage to do over 100 hours a year, so it can't be too bad! If you're living in the city, the down side is going to be finding a hanger.

Bob, you are doing a very similar move to what I did, I went from Daytona Beach to Olympia Wa. (just south of Seattle) I have my half built 7 at Olympia regional where there are 4 other RV's that I know of. There is an 8A being built my Mike Elliott that's should be finished up here shortly that's going to be based up at Shelton as well. I have not gotten involved in any of the EAA chapters however am seriously considering it after I get back from this deployment. I know im going tog have to make some friends to get an extra hand or two with trying to get this thing finished up. Good luck!!!

Welcome! I think you'll find the Seattle area is a fantastic place to be a pilot. I finished my RV-10 this year, and like Jim and Mike above, am a member of EAA 1440. Let us know when you're here!

-Rob

Bob, welcome to Seattle. Don't walk across the street on "Don't Walk" and you'll do fine!

Also, come by Dynon and say hi, and take the tour.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

So.. January is a pretty rough month for someone from Florida to be moving to Seattle.. The good news is once you get here, spring will only be about 6 months away. ;-) Mt Rainier may even be visible for a day or two by May.

Just kidding, (Sort of) the summer and fall will definitely convert you and make you love the Pac NorthWest..

I am part of the 1440 clan as well.. If you are moving to the eastside you will need to check in on our chapter.

Lots of RVs up here for sure. Lots of Great scenery too..

Look forward to meeting you.

thx

You are going to love the flying up here! Plenty of RVs in the area. Where are you going to be based?

Another forum you might want to join: PNWFF
The Pacific North West Flying Forums are similar to VAF but cover just about any sort of flying in the area. Another great resource.

Welcome Bob!

Another 1440 member here. I'm over in Shoreline, WA. Your welcome anytime to visit my project. I was born and raised in Florida and love it up here. You'll miss the thunderstorms but the Summers are outstanding never-the-less. Do you know what part Seattle you're landing in?

Bob, any chance you'd consider modifying your username a bit? It'd sure save me a lot of time answering emails about my not moving to Seattle. Maybe BobCollins(Seattle), for example.

Thanks

Welcome to the NW

Look at the up-side, at least it won't be 10 below zero for weeks on end! :) Welcome to greenry, mountains, and some pretty awsome flying. Even with the winter gloom I manage to do over 100 hours a year, so it can't be too bad! If you're living in the city, the down side is going to be finding a hanger.
Jim, I think this is not the Minneapolis Bob Collins... Anyway, welcome Bob, and check out chapter 1440 if on the "eastside" where Microsoft and Google and Amizon people live.

Or, if you want VFR almost everyday of the year, just settle down about an hour and a half drive to the east. Then you can be just like all the other King County transplants that have driven up real estate prices in Kittitas County!:eek: :D Seriously, good luck with the move. I can't think of a prettier place to fly.

Last edited:
Click "user CP" on the menu bar at the top. Then "edit signature" will be the first option on the menu which shows up on the left side of the subsequent page. That's a start. To modify your username, just ask Doug Reeves.

I'll extend another WELCOME to you Bob. There is a very good group of RVers here in the greater Seattle area.

I will be moving to Mukilteo . Any reasonable priced hangar in the area?

I'm sure you've already checked out which airports are nearby...

Closest airport to Mukilteo is Paine Field KPAE. Boeing has a huge facility there, the airport is towered, and there are a couple of very nice aviation museums on the field. Paine is surrounded by residential/light industrial/commercial buildings. There are several RVs based at Paine.

Harvey Field and First Air Field are two small, privately owned/public airports located 15 miles and 25 miles east of Mukilteo on Hwy 2. Harvey has a very active EAA group, a nice restaraunt on the field with fuel on the field. First Air is a very quiet airport located near the fairgrounds, I don't know if First Air has fuel. Both airports are located in small farming communities with lots of open land around the airports.

Arlington KAWO is located about 15 miles north of Mukilteo on I-5. Arlington is the home of the NW Flyin. It's an uncontrolled field with long/wide asphalt runways, two grass runways, ultralights, gliders, helicopters, and a commercial fighter jet training operation. Arlington is the home base for the Blackjack Squadron, although pilots from all over the NW are members. Fuel is traditionally cheaper than Paine, but not by much. Arlington is surrounded by turf farms and farmland.

Hangars at Arlignton run about $220. I can't speak for the other local airports - I'm sure someone else can chime in for Paine/Harvey/First Air.

Welcome to the Pacific NW!:cool:

Hangar For Sale

Bob,

The hangar next to me at Arlington (AWO) is for sale as are three others in our Condo group. There are a couple more available at the north end in the high rent district. City hangars at the South end can be had, but there is a long wait list. It generally helps to know someone. Condo hangars can be had at Paine (PAE) but they are very proud of them there.

Bob,

The hangar next to me at Arlington (AWO) is for sale as are three others in our Condo group. There are a couple more available at the north end in the high rent district. City hangars at the South end can be had, but there is a long wait list. It generally helps to know someone. Condo hangars can be had at Paine (PAE) but they are very proud of them there.

Arlington Hangar Contacts
These aren't all of the contacts, just the ones that I know...

Mark & Karen Thompson (private hangars ~$220/mo) 360-652-7530
City owned hangars City of Arlington

This Thread is getting crazy long..

I bet you really feel welcome to Seattle by now! But I just had to add one more point of info about arlington hangars.. In fact, you can jump on several right now. Below is info, eamil Russ Keyes for more detail.

Subject: Arlington Hangars
Good Morning -

First, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. My wish for the next year is that things are better for a lot people who they were not so good for this year.

Second, as is common for this time of the year I have a vacant hangar. However this year I have three. One guy moved to Auburn, one guy was a dead beat, and another sold his plane. It is always hard to get the word out that hangars are available. So if you know anyone looking for a hangar please pass the word along that I have a one available. The hangars are #11, #19, and #30.

As always I appreciate your business.

Happy Holidays,
Russ Keyes

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and all the info. We (the family) are planning to embark on out journey to Seattle on January 15th and will probably take 3 weeks to get there. Just purchased a Travel Trailer and will make this move educational for the kids (2 boys and 1 girl).
Looking forward to living in the PNW.

Happy Holidays.

Bob

One more Arlington hangar landlord, and this is one of the largest up there. Contact Janet Williams at Littleredporsche at comcast period net. Really nice hangars! I have rented from them for 10 years. (Probably need to look into that condo hangar...)

Paine field hangars

I think I am paying $286 now for a nice old t hangar at PAE. There are about 10 RVs in the west hangars at PAE and more elsewhere. There is wait list but it is not as long as in the past, and if you want to pay more for a new hangar that wait list is much shorter but I think they run about $400.

Bob,

Welcome to the great North Wet! If you find time, venture down to Pierce County Thun Field (KPLU) in Puyallup and check out our chapter. We have 60+ RVs building/Flying along with other interesting projects. Many of us are based at KPLU, but we have members from a large area (including Seattle) who elect to drive/fly just to be part of our chapter. Visit our chapter website at http://eaa326.org for meeting times.

Hope to see you at a future gathering.
Kevin

To Everyone,

Thank you for the warm welcome. We have been so busy with preparation for the holiday season and the upcoming move that I have had very little time to work on my RV-7A . I am looking forward to be there and meet everyone. I have noticed many people mentioning East side , can anyone tell me where is the dividing line between West and East side. I will be moving to Mukilteo.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

The dividing line between Seattle and the Eastside is wide: Lake Washington. :)

I live in Kirkland on the Eastside. Was lucky enough to find a moderate sized home with a 6 car garage here in the 'burbs.

Welcome to the area! I've been here since '95, having lived in Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Texas and Virginia before SEA. I certainly enjoy this area more than any other place I've lived.

Last edited:
The trip is taking longer we had to wait for 8 days to get new axels for the Tavel trailer. I am expecting arriving in Mukilteo on Sunday Feb 12th

Seattle move

We finally made it to Seattle on the 11th . Hopefully we will be able to move into a house soon waiting for closing (short sale). In the mean time we will be living in a apartment . I just can't wait to resume building

We finally made it to Seattle on the 11th . Hopefully we will be able to move into a house soon waiting for closing (short sale). In the mean time we will be living in a apartment . I just can't wait to resume building

Welcome to the wet corner of the USA. Looks like it will be raining on and off for the next few years but we will try to find that bright yellow orb for you;)

Back