What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Better Battery ?

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Looking at the stats and cost of the Concord battery, we are looking at the Odyssey PC950 which is very similar in dimensions and weight but offers a lot better performance.

Anyone done one and have you got snaps or drawings of how you adapted the tray please ?

I replaced my Odyssey PC925 with an EarthX ETX1200. For both batteries I just fabricated some wood shims out of scrap I had laying around to adapt them to the stock box. For the EarthX I also swapped out the stock hold down bolts for shorter ones.

Last edited:
We are on the PC950 which is smaller but twice the capacity of the Concord. The printed stuff site was interesting though - lots of goodies there !!

We are on the PC950 which is smaller but twice the capacity of the Concord. The printed stuff site was interesting though - lots of goodies there !!

If you are looking for any redundancy in your elec system, I used two 680's in my 10. Only a pound or two more than the 925 with the same capacity.

Larry

If you are looking for any redundancy in your elec system, I used two 680's in my 10. Only a pound or two more than the 925 with the same capacity.

Larry

Two PC-625s are a little lighter, a little more power and a better form factor to mount in the standard RV-10 battery location.

Carl

Two PC-625s are a little lighter, a little more power and a better form factor to mount in the standard RV-10 battery location.

Carl

The receptacle on the 625 is a pretty small M6, kinda small for a battery connector I think.

Last edited:
The receptacle on the 625 is a pretty the small M6, kinda small for a battery connector I think.

Not an issue. Five RVs flying with two PC-625s for a couple of decades now. I typically use #4 welding wire on each battery going to it’s own master solenoid. For the RV-10 the combined output of the two master solenoids is the heavy #2 wire to the starter.

I also note I have not had any issues with the PC-625 as have been reported of late on PC-680s.

Carl

Another recommendation on the EarthX ETX1200. Love it. It really helped our CG. We had the Odyssey behind the baggage compartment. Losing 20lbs there gave us a much needed bump in CG wiggle room for bags or meat in the back of the plane.

lighter battery in the tail

I may get there eventually. Right now I'm finding that even with 20 lbs more baggage area ballast than my CG calculations say I should need to stay in-range, it's very challenging to land my -10 on the mains first.

I may get there eventually. Right now I'm finding that even with 20 lbs more baggage area ballast than my CG calculations say I should need to stay in-range, it's very challenging to land my -10 on the mains first.

It takes a good pull in that configuration. I kept hitting my gut and my hand got sideways, messing with flaring as I bled speed off. I had to re-work things to separate my gut from the stick in that scenario. I don't have a big gut, i was just too close.

I re-worked the elev pushrod geometry and reduced some rudder link length to get my seat back a notch. it made a big difference for me.

Last edited:
I'll investigate at least the rudder position idea. One notch rearward on the seat tracks would help a good bit. My stick grip hits the Crow harness buckle pretty hard in the flare.

Bill Boyd;148239 My stick grip hits the Crow harness buckle pretty hard in the flare.[/QUOTE said:
That doesn’t sound good. At forward cg/full flaps you need every bit of up elevator available.

Back