What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bear spray and other compressed gasses

rv6n6r

Well Known Member
Patron
I keep wondering how much of a safety issue is it to take bear spray and other compressed gasses such as stove cartridges in our airplanes.

It seems to me the pressure difference between 0 and 14,000 feet would be negligible compared to the pressure in a compressed gas cylinder, making the likelihood of a rupture very low.

On the other hand if a can of bear spray ever were to blow or go off inside the plane, that would pretty much the end of things.

I was paranoid enough about this that when I returned from a trip to the Tietons I left a $50 can of bear spray back at the hotel. On the other hand I've carted these Bluet camp stove cartridges all over the place.

I suppose an ammo box might be one answer... thoughts? Is anyone else airplane camping worrying about this?

I pretty routinely take both up to 10-13k while hiking. However, after having been around bear spray that was discharged I can't even imagine inside an airplane.... I think your right, it would quite possibly be the end.

Safe? I'm betting so.

A risk I'm going to take? Probably not. Unless someone has an awesome containment idea.

Maybe a box vented overboard similar to what (I think) Boeing did with the 787 batteries after the fire incidents?

Chip bags

Add potato chip bags to the list. We live at 7500'. We make trips down to Texas twice a year. Auto so far but someday the bird. Potato chip bags explode when they go up! Makes quite a mess. :D

Add potato chip bags to the list. We live at 7500'. We make trips down to Texas twice a year. Auto so far but someday the bird. Potato chip bags explode when they go up! Makes quite a mess. :D

Ah, yes they do. We keep our lunch chips in a "containment vessel". From experience on those long XC trips, we climb until we reach Top Of Climb, which is indicated by the strong smell of french onion sun chips! Or maybe baked cheetos if we've planned to throw all caution to the wind.

Wait, did someone say bear spray!? I can't imagine.

Last edited:
Wingtips can be easily modified with a door and a storage locker for containing things like this.

I'm thinking about just fabricating a small pod that can be bolted in at a tie-down point. Better than duct-taping it to a gear leg which was my first thought!

Also trying to answer my own question, I've been looking through the accident databases and I can't come up with anything like this ever happening, at least on record.

There was a helicopter in Canada several years back that had a canister of bear spray discharge in flight, and all were lost. I don't believe it exploded because of pressure, but don't remember for sure. I would be extremely cautious about taking bear spray to altitude unless it was outside the cockpit - doesn't take much to incapacitate a pilot.

I have thought that if I really needed to carry it, I would try to stow it in the outboard inspection bay of a wing or in the wheel pants somehow.

Last edited:
When I carry bear spray, I store it in a dedicated Pelican Case. Never tested it, but the case has an o-ring seal, which should be better than nothing.

There was a helicopter in Canada several years back that had a canister of bear spray discharge in flight, and all were lost.

Well. I guess I'm not being overly paranoid after all, then.

I have thought that if I really needed to carry it, I would try to stow it in the outboard inspection bay of a wing or in the wheel pants somehow

I've considered the wingtip or inspection hole, but the wing isn't really isolated from the cockpit. Without a stick boot there's a lot of air that wants to blow in there via the wing root, and even with them there's still some coming in (especially noticeable in the wintertime). I fabricated some nylon fabric boots where the aileron push-rods come through for just that reason (cold air that is, I wasn't thinking about bear spray at the time!)

That’s why bush planes have struts to tape the canisters to. ��

Well on that note, a guy could probably make something that screws into the wing tie down, that would work perfectly! Completely out of the airplane just in case. Would be easy to construct too.

This site is great! - I’ve learnt something else! I’ve never heard of Bear Spray, and wasn’t sure if you meant to say “bare spray” - reference the ‘hangar vs hanger post.... but researching it, I find out that “bear spray” would deter Yogi for long enough to make your escape when confronted in the wilderness on your RV camping trip. Not sure I would want to carry it in my airplane though. Might end up being bear meat quicker than if you didn’t have it with you in flight.

Wing locker

That’s a great idea! What are the specs on that locker? I need something to add a few more months to my build. 😂

Interesting article here on safety containers for bear repellent.

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html...ressure applied was,of the gases would escape.

Great solution. Simple, easy and cheap
icon14.gif

Temp Ranges

After reading my bear spray it states:

STORE IN COOL DRY SPACE, INACCESSIBLE TO CHILDREN AND PETS.
Do not store in places where the temperature is above 120*F and 32*F.
Do not store in hot vehicle or in direct sunlight.

I would make insulated sleeve or box to carry it in.

We have to remind ourselves to take out of vehicle because of the 120 range.
Freezing would be my concern when flying.

Boomer

Bear spray canister

For what it's worth, PVC pipe and caps to fit...

I built it but never used it...

Challenges:

- Sealing the threads
- fuel lube?
- teflon tape?

- How to open / close it?
- hand tight probably wouldn't seal
- possibly plastic wrenches like used for water filters?

Attachments

• Bear Spray Container.jpg
    Bear Spray Container.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 168
I read an article about mountain flying before our trip to Yellowstone in July and it said to be sure and carry Bear Spray. I bought a 40 dollar can when we got there and carried it around the park for a few days. While there, my friend took an old can and squirted a little just to try it and the slight breeze drifted back toward him and he was almost completely incapacitated! I gave my can to the FBO before flying out cause I worried all night about what would happen if it ruptured in flight!....That wingtip mod sounds like a great idea!

I just returned from 4 days at Yellowstone. The lineman at West Yellowstone tipped me off to ask to borrow a can of bear spray while I was there since there had been some bear attacks even on busy popular trails. They had a few cans that pilots had left with the FBO because they didn't want to carry it inflight. I made sure to return the can before I left.

Back