What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Air Compressor Question

RudysRV7

I purchased a Husky 30 Gal. 175 PSI Quiet Portable Electric Air Compressor.
When its running, I measure 88dB in the garage. I am not getting complaints from neighbors, but as I am setting up my garage; I am thinking about building a small compressor room. There would be plenty of clearance space inside the room with an intake louver and exhaust louver on the sides of the room.

Have you tried this?

Thanks

When its running, I measure 88dB in the garage. I am not getting complaints from neighbors, but as I am setting up my garage; I am thinking about building a small compressor room. There would be plenty of clearance space inside the room with an intake louver and exhaust louver on the sides of the room.
Have you tried this?
Thanks

If you put the compressor in a small room, you probably will want to provide forced air ventilation. Heat will shorten compressor life considerably!

Have you tried this?

Thanks

I made a box for mine out of OSB and fiberglass insulation and I used a piece of that 2" blue (styrofoam) board for the floor. It made it so quiet I can sit on it while the compressor's running and talk on my cellphone. And that was when I lived in an apartment and had the air compressor on the kitchen floor. I asked my downstairs neighbor if she heard anything and she said no.

air

Another thing you can do to make your life easier is to add an additional storage take to your system. I shouldn't tell you I have an 80 gallon compressor in it's own enclosure outside my hanger and an 120 gallon tank inside my hanger. 200 gallons of storage. I got the old 120 compressor tank for only $100.00 off Craigslist
My compressor only runs occasionally. There is no substitute for gas in your tank. (oops I should say air)
The additional advantage of the second tank is dryer air at point of use. I actually have an air dryer just for painting added to a separate system.
Then regulate pressure at point of use.
Don't get blown away. Art

DTARM1 said: "I made a box for mine out of OSB and fiberglass insulation"

Consider adding a feature to your soundbox.

I quieted a 110dB granulator down to 70 dB using the same approach - but consider a feature I added. I added a Dayton squirrel cage fan to ensure cooling airflow. Before the exit port for the fan, I constructed a reversing channel, also lined with old shag carpet. 4" x 12" opening to a channel of the same net size, up 18", reversing down.

Sound doesn't travel around corners very well :D

Fiberglass is good

Reading up on sound issues a few years ago for sound attenuation in my house, fiberglass batt insulation is nearly as good as most of the special products in standard wall construction testing.

Back