What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New paint

dave4754

Well Known Member
Has anyone heard of Besa or Besanito for painting aircraft.
It is being promoted to me to use without primer and it sticks good apparently.
I am building a RV 7 does anyone remember the coverage and gallons used to do 1 fuse 2 entire plane?

I have ordered about three gallons which includes my trim, too much?
This is a two part polyurethane paint.

Any help or stories gladly accepted. By the way the cost Cdn. for above paint is 780 dollars

Last edited:
I had never heard of them. I looked up the data sheets for their polyurethane, they all say to use with a primer.

I painted my RV. Given the amount of time and labor involved. It is not worth it to play with fire to save a few $ or pounds. If it works, great. But when paint fails it usually does so spectacularly. Then you get to strip and repaint, which is even more work than painting the first time around.

I painted with Acrylic Urethane. Used a little less than 3 gallons topcoat. I had plenty of waste since I did lots of small jobs rather than all-at-once. I also used a pearl, so I used a lot of paint practicing to get the pearl right.

FP16042019A0001J.jpg

FP16042019A0000X.jpg

Last edited:
I would never put a polyurethane directly on aluminum, regardless of what they tell you. Alum is tough to get adhesion on and you REALLY want an epoxy primer to give you the best adhesion possible. This is not an area to save $200 and a days work.

Larry

Last edited:
sounds good, is it true?

Has anyone heard of Besa or Besanito for painting aircraft.
It is being promoted to me to use without primer and it sticks good apparently.
I am building a RV 7 does anyone remember the coverage and gallons used to do 1 fuse 2 entire plane?
I have ordered about three gallons which includes my trim, too much?
This is a two part polyurethane paint.
Any help or stories gladly accepted. By the way the cost Cdn. for above paint is 780 dollars

Hey Dave, just hoping for your success here...but be cautious.
Ask to see a 10 year -old plane painted by an amateur with this exact paint..... and see if you still want to do it!
Most paint I've ever used has failed to live up to it's wild claims.
painted a fabric homebuilt, twice, with Endura ( from Edmonton) polyurethane. supposed to be the cats' pajamas. Cost as much ( or more) as the big names, and had to add flex agent etc. still cracked where the fabric met the structure. NOT a fan.
So beware, buy a quart, do some extensive testing, scuffing, alodining, sanding etc. Since you appear to be well along in the build, it's too late to scuff where rivets are driven; I guarantee that's failure point #1 on any paint job, even factory ones!
Good luck!

Thanks again all

I appreciate the info provided and will be more discriminating on this product. I had a good deal on some Anzo and let it go ... .looks like my bad!

Back