What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Erratic OAT

n74846

Well Known Member
My OAT is now giving erratic readings, up and down, and does not settle out during flight. Before I either replace, or start taking things apart (I am not the builder), I am looking for ideas where to start. Are there plug connectors to be cleaned, and if so, where are they? Can a new probe be spliced in or does it require a re-wire? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

It depends on the electronics that are installed. If a D-180, the first place to check is aft of the baggage bulkhead. If I remember right, there is a D-Sub connector that contains the wires from the OAT probe. Take that apart to make sure all of the pins are seated properly and there are no broken wires.

You will likely find it very beneficial to your maintenance efforts to acquire a set of digital plans from Van's for your version of the RV-12 -- this assumes that the previous owner did not provide the original construction plan set with the aircraft. The physical locations of the various sensors, wiring, and connections are illustrated in the plans. Van's also offers detailed wiring schematics at:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/downloads.htm

As I recall, the OAT probe is a two-wire affair with no particular polarity.

Sorry I failed to mention I have a classic Skyview. I have the plans on disk, but it was unclear where the wires enter harness/skyview. Thanks for the suggestions.

Most common cause would be a poor connection or poor ground. Those type of sensors are not known for common failure.

Larry

It has happened to me too.

Steve,
I have a Skyview Classic and had an issue with the OAT. The wires from the probe travel back to the ADHAR (the box were pitot and static connect) and connect with a small plug. Like Joe mentioned in an earlier post, mine had developed a poor connection. Since I corrected this poor connection of these wires/pins into the plug I have had no other problems. Good Luck.

Thanks for the input. I'll start with the connection at the ADHAR, as that is the easiest to reach.

Back