What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun & Fun Camping?

jrock836

Well Known Member
Well darn, doesn’t look like flying to Apopka on Saturday for the LSRM Inspection Class and then down to Sun & Fun for a couple of days afterwards is going to happen due to mother nature.

Will probably just make the 18 hr. drive instead. I have never been to Sun & Fun, and don’t really know the lay of the land. I was thinking about loading up camping gear and tent camping while there. How is the Sun & Fun camping experience? I normally like to camp in remote, quiet locations. I’m sure it won’t be quiet, but how is it? Would I be better off just getting a hotel room? $40 bucks per night to camp in the mass of humanity seems pretty pricey to me!

Attachments

• D7F0DB99-567B-4408-94A4-3B3B016C90C9.png
    D7F0DB99-567B-4408-94A4-3B3B016C90C9.png
    2 MB · Views: 105
  • 04E8A3C8-821D-4D78-9DEB-B4001F97A021.png
    04E8A3C8-821D-4D78-9DEB-B4001F97A021.png
    2 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Tent camping is pretty good. Not too far away from anything but far enough that you can get away. Hospitality is nice. You will hear the RVs (not the Vans kind) running AC all night long.

It is Florida. While we call it spring down here, some from the north will call it summer. If sleeping in the 70s doesn't sound fun, then you may want to look at the local hotels. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 90 during day that week.

2011 was first and last SNF for me. "Hospitality" at Experimental campground needed to spring for some teeth. Always had their hand out.
AND....after the tornado I witnessed them drag all of those helpless airplanes to the Tarmac with no permission from the owner or regard. Then to add insult, some even got a bill for the tow!
Just a bad experience all the way around.

Last edited:
2011 was first and last SNF for me. "Hospitality" needed to spring for some teeth. Always had their hand out. Just a bad experience.

Sorry to hear that. This whole trip has been kinda screwed up for me, and part of that is on me since I didn't do better research. Not thrilled that Rainbow advertises Sun & Fun classes, but turns out they are 65 miles down the road in Apopka.. My bad for not checking distances.. I probably wouldn't have bought the class if I knew that ahead of time..

Anyway, I guess since I'm now driving things are going to be much more simple since I don't have to make car rental reservations and airplane tie-down/hanger reservations in two different locations... Guess I'll throw a tent and cot in the truck.. If it's too crazy, I'll just go find a hotel..

Last edited:
I had a few good experiences camping there years ago, but the last few years, I’ve stayed in a hotel. You’ll probably have a tough time finding hotel accommodations near Lakeland at this point. I have a hotel, but I reserved it 3 months ago. Prior to this year, I’ve stayed in Brandon, FL. Lots of hotel choices, and this year anyway, the prices are not bad. It’s a 30 minute drive down Florida route 60 to LAL, but there are plenty of restaurants available to choose from in that area, and the hotels are mostly mainstream hotels.

Sun & Fun Camping

I camped in Homebuilt camping at Sun 'N Fun 2 years ago. It was a great experience. Lots of interaction between people camping. They had a large tent and had food for just a donation.

Back