What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Funny of the Day

jrock836

Well Known Member
How many of you guys have stopped laying your headset on the wing? I have slowly learned after leaving the headset on the wing and closing the canopy on the cord multiple times that I should just keep the headset inside the plane!

:)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 313
So, at least in the aviation world, it would seem 'cutting the cord' is not necessarily a good cost savings move.

Somewhere along the way Vans added headset brackets just in front of the air vents.
They work very well.:)

Interestingly in that picture, Pete has those brackets on his plane - he just hasn't discovered them yet - lot to absorb on day one. :)

Last edited:
Guilty

I've definitely shut the canopy on the headset cord with headset on the wing. So, I adjusted to moving the headset to the floor just fore of the air vent.

....aaaaannnd then I strap in nice and snug and can't lean over to reach the dang headset; so, I must unstrap, get headset, put on, then strap.

One day I'll get it right! :)

I've definitely shut the canopy on the headset cord with headset on the wing. So, I adjusted to moving the headset to the floor just fore of the air vent.

....aaaaannnd then I strap in nice and snug and can't lean over to reach the dang headset; so, I must unstrap, get headset, put on, then strap.

One day I'll get it right! :)

And then realize you just strapped in for a second time, with the straps OVER the headset cord?? Third time is a charm! :)

What really matters is if you totally screw up and take off with them on the wing. Ha Ha.
AND wonder why the ANR part of your headset isn't working and thinking the batteries are dead.
He actually didn't loose the head set. No names given to protect the perp.
Seen it but haven't done it myself.
Art

I've placed my iPad right there before as I was getting things squared away. It's a good thing I live on a grass taxiway. The iPad was sitting there without a scratch when I returned!

i don't put the iPad on the wing anymore...

Good news

...and I thought it was just me. Thanks, guys. I feel better now. Not necessarily normal, but better.

And then realize you just strapped in for a second time, with the straps OVER the headset cord?? Third time is a charm! :)

... you think, right up until the moment you realize the key is still deep in your pants pocket...

... you think, right up until the moment you realize the key is still deep in your pants pocket...

At least it’s in your pocket. I usually place it on the floor under the throttle and choke for some weird reason. Then strap in. Then....you guessed it!

I’ve taxied off with my iPad on the wing of my -6A, thankfully on a private grass strip so it was still there when I returned. And the canopy rail on a -8 is a great place to lay your iPhone, at least until you slide the canopy open after landing on a hot Mississippi runway. That airport had very little traffic so I was able to walk the runway to find it.

I've placed my iPad right there before as I was getting things squared away. It's a good thing I live on a grass taxiway. The iPad was sitting there without a scratch when I returned!

i don't put the iPad on the wing anymore...

I left my iPad and eyeglasses on my wing after landing at CYAM (Sault Ste. Marie) back in 2019 and only discovered it after a $50 shuttle ride into the hotel. Called airport security and they secured it for me overnight. The eyeglasses were a bigger deal.

I still put both of those on the wing, in fact did it this afternoon. I just pick them up before I walk away.

It's great to learn these procedures from the pros of Dover. I've done most of them. Need to write a checklist to go through before closing the canopy. :D

Guilty as charged, but it was brand new prescription sunglasses. Fortunately in the case and found by my hangar neighbor.

After getting headset and sunglasses sorted, canopy closed and securely strapped in you reach in your pocket for the keys and remember they’re still on the bench in the hangar.

I got real good at removing my Anti-Splat control lock with my feet while strapped in to my -10....:D

-Marc

Back