What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing Lord engine mount with Barry

f14av8r

Well Known Member
I need to replace my lower engine mounts due to deterioration from oil exposure. I'm considering replacing the lower mounts with Barry mounts and leaving the upper Lord mounts in place. I'm also considering replacing all four with Barry. I'm also considering replacing just the lower mounts with Lord mounts that match the upper ones.

Here's my main question. If I replace all four Lord mounts with the Barry mounts that Vans sells for the RV-8, will the be close enough dimensionally so as to not effect my cowl installation and clearances?

I need to replace my lower engine mounts due to deterioration from oil exposure. I'm considering replacing the lower mounts with Barry mounts and leaving the upper Lord mounts in place. I'm also considering replacing all four with Barry. I'm also considering replacing just the lower mounts with Lord mounts that match the upper ones.

Here's my main question. If I replace all four Lord mounts with the Barry mounts that Vans sells for the RV-8, will the be close enough dimensionally so as to not effect my cowl installation and clearances?

Any particular reason for wanting to change the bottom mounts from Lord to Barry??

Any particular reason for wanting to change the bottom mounts from Lord to Barry??

Mainly price but also a belief that they are just as good as the Lord mounts. I'm also not happy that the Lord mounts deteriorated the way they did. I realize the caution against fluids getting on the mounts but this is, after all, an ENGINE mount. The Barry mounts will probably have the same susceptibility though.

Last edited:
Mounts

I just replaced my Barry with Barry mounts. When cowled back up, my spinner was touching the top cowl, just barely. I took cowl off and ran engine for a few minutes and the engine settled enough to get a 3mm spacing at the top. I’m not sure what it would look like if I rolled inverted. I’m assuming with time it will sag a little more.

Mainly price but also a belief that they are just as good as the Lord mounts. I'm also not happy that the Lord mounts deteriorated the way they did. I realize the caution against fluids getting on the mounts but this is, after all, an ENGINE mount. The Barry mounts will probably have the same susceptibility though.

I have used Barry mounts(2 times) and both times found they are inferior to Lord mounds by a lot. The initial cost of the Lord mounts are more then Barry but the Lord mounts will outlast and out perform Barry by far.
I found the Barry mounts sag after a short period as well as distort, whereas, I have never experienced distortion with Lord mounts.

Remember, someone once saying "You get what you pay for" very true with engine mounts.

After 2 poor experiences with Barry mounts and zero tech support from Barry as well as listening to numerous complaints from other pilots about their engine sagging within a short time when using Barry mounts I will never go with Barry again. Step up on the better mount(Lord) and usually not too long after initial cost(hurt) of the purchase you will likely be saying to yourself "I'm glad I bought the quality part.

Keep in mind, any mount, no matter the quality will deteriorate over time when exposed to fluids adverse to the product.

Just my .002 worth. Good luck on your decision.

I just replaced my Barry with Barry mounts. When cowled back up, my spinner was touching the top cowl, just barely. I took cowl off and ran engine for a few minutes and the engine settled enough to get a 3mm spacing at the top. I’m not sure what it would look like if I rolled inverted. I’m assuming with time it will sag a little more.

Tracy, did you mean you replaced your Barry mounts with new Barry Mounts? Or did you replace your Lord mounts with Barry mounts?

Your doing it backwards

Don’t do it , i’ve only ever had one airplane with Berry mounts and you will be rewarding yourself by spending the little bit extra going with the lords , I see sky Geek still sells them & I found them to be the best price drop shipped from the factory !

Lord vs Barry

I disagree with the general consensus that Lord mounts are superior to Barry from a sag standpoint. I just replaced my Lords with Barrys after 350 hours / 4 years due to severe sagging with the Lords.

The Barrys are exactly the same dimensions as Lords so they will fit without issue.

i-T3Zj9XJ-L.jpg

Lord mount number RV-8A

Looks like the Barry part number for the RVs is 94011-20 and the Lord part number is J-9613-40. Per the Wicks Aircraft pages.

(EDITED: I see various refererences to the Lord J-9613, with 3 different dash numbers: -40, -45 (with comment that this is from Vans information), and -49. I have not reconciled the difference in compatibility or application.)

Last edited:

My opinion. Shim it to proper alignment and know that you have some future margin when the sag sets in.

Part Numbers???

I need to replace the original mounts (from Van's in 2008) as they too are sagging. I have no idea what part number should be used on an IO-360 engine with the original Van's mount on a RV-7A.. Does anyone have Part numbers for the various source types? Van only lists the mounts as "DYNA VI-STD BARRY", but doesn't provide the actual Barry part number.

I disagree with the general consensus that Lord mounts are superior to Barry from a sag standpoint. I just replaced my Lords with Barrys after 350 hours / 4 years due to severe sagging with the Lords.

The Barrys are exactly the same dimensions as Lords so they will fit without issue.

i-T3Zj9XJ-L.jpg

Last edited:
I need to replace the original mounts (from Van's in 2008) as they too are sagging. I have no idea what part number should be used on an IO-360 engine with the original Van's mount on a RV-7A.. Does anyone have Part numbers for the various source types? Van only lists the mounts as "DYNA VI-STD BARRY", but doesn't provide the actual Barry part number.

Barry: 94011-20, Spruce P/N (same) $139.95 ea.
VIP: P/N 50011-20, Spruce P/N 0800774 $88.75 ea.

FWIW

FWIW - if replacing a Lord mount with a VIP, you can transplant the Lord inner rubber bladder insert containing the silicone dampening goop into the new VIP mount (providing the goop is not leaking) and it fits in there fine. Have not tried this with a Barry mount.

Walking back my earlier comment... I replaced the sagging Lord mounts in my RV8 with VIP, not Barry. So far working fine.

I replaced sagging Lord mounts for the IO-540 in my Rocket with VIP aerobatic mounts 3 years ago. So far sag has been minimal.

Back