What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lessons learned

xkape

Parts lead time?

Made my first boo boo today. I'm fitting my wing skins onto the structure on my 7, and my attachment mechanism holding the wing onto the stands wasn't as good as I thought it was, and down she went. Luckily I haven't started on the other wing yet and I could pull parts from the shelf to keep plugging along.

Now I get to find out how much it costs to ship an outer wing skin and rib across the country and play the waiting game.

Anybody order parts from Van's recently? Any idea the wait time?

Last edited:
Parts may be a bit of a guessing game, depends on what is in their inventory - but I called them last week and they are running about a week and a half behind on all orders/shipments.

Shipping won't be awful. They will just roll it up and put it in a cardboard box. As far as lead time, who knows? I ordered a F-695 gusset last Friday and it showed up in a padded envelope in my mailbox on Monday.

Last edited:
I butchered a part recently, and asked for some back-ordered fuselage parts to be shipped early. Both items took 10-14 days, and that included crossing the border. I also used USPS/Canada Post as the shipping method. That option is notorious for being rather slow.

Shipping costs from Van's usually ends up being a little higher than I'd expect, but still nothing unreasonable.

On the plus side, you've got a wing skin worth of scrap to experiment on. I bought an old wing kit that included one skin with some bad corrosion on a corner. I just bought a new skin. With the old skin, I cut the corroded corner off and am always cutting pieces off that scrap sheet for random things here and there.

Last edited:
Back