What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Foam

Zazoos

Well Known Member
Thinking about doing my own seats. I realize Vans sells the seat foam but thinking about going at it from scratch.

I was thinking about using the 3 layer Confor Foam from ACS for the butt cushion, but was wondering if a different combination would be better for the back rest section or should both seat bottom and back rest utilize 3 layers?

Thank you,

Vans foam

I bought the Vans seat foam a few weeks ago. It comes with the patterns for the fabric too. It was reasonably priced. But shipping was expensive; next time shipping will be slowest route so it is the cheapest.

I covered the foam in trash bags to keep it clean. Using the foam seats made final layout of the panel easy and verified I could reach and see everything properly. In my trail fit, the foam was really comfortable.

I am going to have a hot rod shop cover them. Should be cheap to cover by pulling in a few favors.

I also order the seat blanks from Vans. I was planning to use the old seat foams from the junkyard, but the prices from Vans are reasonable. I am planning to use the standard car seat cover as upholstery and make them fit. I found that seat covers for trucks will fit them with some nip and tuck. There goes my chance of getting the Lindy :rolleyes:. Maybe I can mask the cheap seats with that $25K paint job.

This company sells memory foam for seating applications (wheelchairs, ejection seats, helicopter seats, etc.) and has technical specs to match the use.

https://www.sunmatecushions.com/

The stuff isn't cheap but won't cost more than a set of pre-made cushions (likely much less). They do have clearance sheets that are way below regular price. I used a layered seat and back with different densities. All glued up with 3M High strength spray adhesive, cuts are made with a band saw or sharp blade.

No affiliation, just info.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mbFGTiPeThrQPD58A

Another choice

Seatfoam.com also sells the foam. You can purchase 1 inch layers in multiple firmnesses to build your cushions. They also can recommend what firmness should be used where.

One caution

If you make up your own foam cushion be sure not to get it too thick. Remember some folks have a longer torso and taller sitting heights. You don’t want be bumping a head on the canopy. Don’t ask how I know!

Looks like Confor foam is readily available in laminated and non-laminated sheets, but I'm intrigued by the built-in bolsters that are part of the Van's components. My current interior is by Flightline, is 10 years old, and is worn out....squished, and tilts me inward. The leather seat covers are in good shape, but they're non-bolstered and I've never cared for them from either an appearance standpoint or functionality. I'm looking at 3" of new foam, and if I'm going to do that, getting my local upholstery guy to fit new covers to foam from Van's is an option to explore. I'm waiting to get pricing on the requisite amount of leather and then compare that to just getting the seats ready-made from Oregon Aero or somebody.

Last edited:
The stuff isn't cheap but won't cost more than a set of pre-made cushions (likely much less). They do have clearance sheets that are way below regular price. I used a layered seat and back with different densities. All glued up with 3M High strength spray adhesive, cuts are made with a band saw or sharp blade.

I have found that an electric carving knife works extremely well for cutting foam. Especially for shaping.

Looks like Confor foam is readily available in laminated and non-laminated sheets, but I'm intrigued by the built-in bolsters that are part of the Van's components. My current interior is by Flightline, is 10 years old, and is worn out....squished, and tilts me inward. The leather seat covers are in good shape, but they're non-bolstered and I've never cared for them from either an appearance standpoint or functionality. I'm looking at 3" of new foam, and if I'm going to do that, getting my local upholstery guy to fit new covers to foam from Van's is an option to explore. I'm waiting to get pricing on the requisite amount of leather and then compare that to just getting the seats ready-made from Oregon Aero or somebody.

I thought I would order RV seats from a VAF advertiser. I found out it was more than a few months of lead time. They were really busy.

Last edited:
I thought I would order RV seats from a VAF advertiser. I found out it was more than a few months of lead time. They were really busy.

I'm sure there are backlogs. My current old Flightline seats kind of suck, but they're usable enough to accommodate Van's backlog, considerable as it is.

Back