What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No mess oil change trick.

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Thought I'd share a "trick" taught to me by a hangar neighbor. It's so simple, and so very effective. It's possible that every pilot knows this trick but me... But just in case others haven't seen it, thought I'd share it here.

Oil changes can be messy. Hangar neighbor gave me a 30" piece of 2" PVC cut in half and told me to use on my next oil change. Today I did. Not a SINGLE DROP to clean up! It was almost too easy. Slide the PVC 1/2 pipe under the filter connection point and out the side to drip into a pail. Loosen the filter, let it drip out. When done dripping, remove filter and clean off residual. Easy peasy.

Attachments

• IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2966.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 499
I love this! I've never heard of this either, but I can't wait to try it. I've tried many different things with limited success, but this looks simple and effective. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting, there are several catch ideas, this seems new to me. I use the bag and it works well, a bit of a miss to collect the filter, but it keeps the engine dry.

I will try this next. Thanks.

Wish I had known about this a week ago!!:eek:

Joe
Longview, Texas

RV-14A 60 hours and climbing!

Robinson R-22 Still learning to fly this beast. :D

I have used the freezer bag trick for years with pretty good success. Today was oil change time on the rocket so I thought why not. All I had lying around was 1.5 inch pvc so I split a piece of that on the bandsaw. Low and behold it fit in there just fine. I cracked the filter watched the oil run down the chute into the bucket after all looked good I went in to the house. I have no doubt it will be clean and mess free in the morning. Great idea.

The OPs idea has worked for me for 900hrs. I use a piece of aluminum angle instead of the PVC chute but concept is same. I assumed it worked because I was lucky with the vagaries of hose and wire installations and it would not fit for everyone.

Form-a-Funnel works like that and has been great for me for oil filters, but being bendable is good for other out-of-the-way drainable things too. Then roll it up and throw it in the bucket.

What about under the oil screen? That’s where I have the hardest time getting something in the tight space there to catch the oil when I pull the screen plug.

Thought I'd share a "trick" taught to me by a hangar neighbor. It's so simple, and so very effective. It's possible that every pilot knows this trick but me... But just in case others haven't seen it, thought I'd share it here.

Oil changes can be messy. Hangar neighbor gave me a 30" piece of 2" PVC cut in half and told me to use on my next oil change. Today I did. Not a SINGLE DROP to clean up! It was almost too easy. Slide the PVC 1/2 pipe under the filter connection point and out the side to drip into a pail. Loosen the filter, let it drip out. When done dripping, remove filter and clean off residual. Easy peasy.

After many messy oil changes trying to invent methods myself, a few after that that were quite clean but a bit finicky using a "form-a-funnel," this PVC is my new favorite trick. Way easier, quicker, and cleaner than the other methods I've used.
Thanks for the tip!

Great method

Tried the pipe method the other day, like others have said, super simple and super clean. Thanks for the tip :)

Why is the pipe split the full length? Looks like it would work just fine if only the first 6 inches were split.

Fit

In my case it would be pretty tight to get a full pipe in there. Half pipe slid in quite easily

flexible PVC

The half pipe is a great idea. If you haven't tried it, you will be amazed at how heat from a hot air gun or Soldering torch will turn the pipe to jello. This allows for forming a custom trough. I'm going to give this a try.

Back