What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access Front Panels

DaveO

Well Known Member
Need help with memory!
Some time ago there was a discussion about installing Front access panels. There was a company or individual that made the parts to install the access panels. Who was the person? or company?
Thanks

I made my own, they are very much like the ones shown in the Kitplanes ad. It is mostly labor in making them so you can figure out if you should make or buy. One thing to think about is to have the cover plate thickness less than the skin thickness if you will be using a seal under the cover.

I made my own, they are very much like the ones shown in the Kitplanes ad. It is mostly labor in making them so you can figure out if you should make or buy. One thing to think about is to have the cover plate thickness less than the skin thickness if you will be using a seal under the cover.

Another thing to consider is the skin of a monocoque design is primary structure, I would suggest you do your homework/contact Van's prior to cutting a big hole in the structure of your aircraft to be sure you understand what's involved. Just because someone offers a kit for something that doesn't automatically mean it was tested or approved by the aircraft designer (I'm quite sure Van's did not endorse/approve the installation of the above linked kit on their aircraft).

Last edited:
Keep in mind you'll want to waterproof those covers as well... Eventually you'll park outside in the rain, and your electronics (presumably) will be right below those openings.

I'd question how often you're really going to need to get back there and whether the additional access is worth it in the long run.

Experimental's

Another thing to consider is the skin of a monocoque design is primary structure, I would suggest you do your homework/contact Van's prior to cutting a big hole in the structure of your aircraft to be sure you understand what's involved. Just because someone offers a kit for something that doesn't automatically mean it was tested or approved by the aircraft designer (I'm quite sure Van's did not endorse/approve the installation of the above linked kit on their aircraft).

I am not meaning to start an argument nor disagree, I fully agree just adding to what has been said:

And that's why they are Experimentals. I fully agree that you need to do your homework and understand what is involved, but no endorsement or approval is needed. Just because they did not do it, does not mean that it can not be done.

The advent of large EFIS screens and designing panels that come out as an assembly eliminates the need for access panels.

Build on.

Carl

The whole top skin is screwed on a RV-4 or Rocket. No reason to ever have to lay on ones back to get to stuff like brake master cylinders, things on the firewall, etc.

It would not be difficult to implement a variation of this on the 6/7/9, forward of the windshield on sliders.

Agree

The advent of large EFIS screens and designing panels that come out as an assembly eliminates the need for access panels.
Build on.
Carl

I would agree with this also. With the way panel equipment is today, I would try to keep everything on the front part of the sub panel. It is a lot easier to sit in the seat and work on the stuff behind the panel. If I was building today I would design everything to be accessible while seating in the seat if possible. I do love my "Affordable (three section) Panel". With the new large holes for screens that helps also.

Pulling the EFIS(s) gets you past the panel, but there is a subpanel ahead of that. Forward access covers get you into that area.

Ed Holyoke

I would agree with this also. With the way panel equipment is today, I would try to keep everything on the front part of the sub panel. It is a lot easier to sit in the seat and work on the stuff behind the panel. If I was building today I would design everything to be accessible while seating in the seat if possible. I do love my "Affordable (three section) Panel". With the new large holes for screens that helps also.

In don't have the info any more, but based on a search on VAF I used two RV-10 wing access panel kits (including pre-punched doubler) forward of the windshield.

I wasn't brave enough to try it, but I saw a Piper Tomahawk year ago that had a removable NACA duct on the side of the fuselage at about where the 6/7/9 have theirs. The rectangular opening (3x6?) resulted in a nice behind the panel and rudder pedal access.

Not only would those access panels be an ugly eyesore prone to water/air leaks, think RESALE value when you get to the point of selling your plane. That would be enough for me to walk away. I like Bobs idea of having the full skin removable with screws a whole lot better. Careful planning of module locations and mounting systems with servicing access in mind would alleviate the need for access panels.

Yep

Pulling the EFIS(s) gets you past the panel, but there is a subpanel ahead of that. Forward access covers get you into that area.

Ed Holyoke

I fully understand that, I have access panels on my plane. If I was building today I would just mount everything so that it could be accessed on the sub panel, it could be accessed via removing the instrument panel. I just could not do that when I had analog gauges. The big brain box for my AFS engine monitor and my Lightspeed Ignition box are mounted under the LH panel. My altitude encoder use to be under the RH panel, no longer needed, now that I'm using the Garmin G3X. I use clear RTV when installing them and they do not leak. I have been back into them a number of times. I made this mod myself, they are not the ones being sold, but are made like them, only smaller. Feel free to go to my web site and look at my ugly plane ;-)

b8QI53kwSuFFdNoexMb9czPbzFyzLpcW10icCOApPlf35AjNiBjAqm3NOTb8E7JH9FZGAQa-mNohbpipADKTYbkQs2Kigi8BOFRiYiERdsfdU55D-tEy29DRcD5dJ-X9zXKqbq8sHRopAw1XDcbWjlDO6_k9IBqKY5HqcQVDXVTpIokWs3H6Y7e195TLjvGZMvo1seziujU-ZajkB1o0OVAfClemQ0hjTPmQVdXoX6FFHsxT2c93m8wB1y8QWPatIzmtRLuIHBlvUMpl2pPNgslileZhjMQm24g2CMicyubOtfuFl0v3fUeed6CSQn9FXxnh1eoHViOHBZkIQunQidJZhoQWdBUfHz2EXZV2oixWuOh63Hsjn9_7x8Go4Mpkjy9GWTKFMH_PlNkONZZseqwAlaoUM5q91-o81ieRFPrwnT_7cRZZcvasdCjKmW6UeR2wTWwJrzqSXGVMFQsl5GH8xvgb04MJgyTYfAmdADL9-m3lyONSEGyvOIU6bf2fYvrFcVDpt1LfwxFKIahjG5eBqUYIWhLV-wx_Guut0aJy4mCXSrw0lhOnGUz_RADo1VXoWj9JiXtmQfVTe3gWP3nu3v2r3iUS1j2xaOmgkSOBbUc42aZrpIGrCEePvAQJN64VfZmv8spGjh4KsZkJDkfbLg5Pcv_Ku-0DqbS-jomayH_wc5-TuK5s5UJqX-qDqDG2oqR_UAVpa_KicuU=w237-h316-no

Last edited:
I have four panels like shown in the picture above. I absolutely love them. Been in there multiple times. Looks great and have never had a problem. Actually seems stronger than just skin. The nutplate ring stiffens that area up nicely.

I fully understand that, I have access panels on my plane. If I was building today I would just mount everything so that it could be accessed on the sub panel, it could be accessed via removing the instrument panel. I just could not do that when I had analog gauges. The big brain box for my AFS engine monitor and my Lightspeed Ignition box are mounted under the LH panel. My altitude encoder use to be under the RH panel, no longer needed, now that I'm using the Garmin G3X. I use clear RTV when installing them and they do not leak. I have been back into them a number of times. I made this mod myself, they are not the ones being sold, but are made like them, only smaller. Feel free to go to my web site and look at my ugly plane ;-)

b8QI53kwSuFFdNoexMb9czPbzFyzLpcW10icCOApPlf35AjNiBjAqm3NOTb8E7JH9FZGAQa-mNohbpipADKTYbkQs2Kigi8BOFRiYiERdsfdU55D-tEy29DRcD5dJ-X9zXKqbq8sHRopAw1XDcbWjlDO6_k9IBqKY5HqcQVDXVTpIokWs3H6Y7e195TLjvGZMvo1seziujU-ZajkB1o0OVAfClemQ0hjTPmQVdXoX6FFHsxT2c93m8wB1y8QWPatIzmtRLuIHBlvUMpl2pPNgslileZhjMQm24g2CMicyubOtfuFl0v3fUeed6CSQn9FXxnh1eoHViOHBZkIQunQidJZhoQWdBUfHz2EXZV2oixWuOh63Hsjn9_7x8Go4Mpkjy9GWTKFMH_PlNkONZZseqwAlaoUM5q91-o81ieRFPrwnT_7cRZZcvasdCjKmW6UeR2wTWwJrzqSXGVMFQsl5GH8xvgb04MJgyTYfAmdADL9-m3lyONSEGyvOIU6bf2fYvrFcVDpt1LfwxFKIahjG5eBqUYIWhLV-wx_Guut0aJy4mCXSrw0lhOnGUz_RADo1VXoWj9JiXtmQfVTe3gWP3nu3v2r3iUS1j2xaOmgkSOBbUc42aZrpIGrCEePvAQJN64VfZmv8spGjh4KsZkJDkfbLg5Pcv_Ku-0DqbS-jomayH_wc5-TuK5s5UJqX-qDqDG2oqR_UAVpa_KicuU=w237-h316-no

I used 6 of the 10 access panels.
4 in the middle and 2 on the sides.
No problems, and would do again.

Walt is on to something here, I believe.

VAF moderator Sid Mayeaux (Scroll) put access panels in his -7A tip-up and it was not a simple ?cut holes, put in nut-plates, screw panels on? type of deal.

There was more to it than that, by a long shot.

I talked to Sid about it at length and there was some significant work put in so the aircraft was still structurally sound...a call by him to Van?s laid out what their thoughts were regarding a proper bill-of-work to safely accomplish this.

Hopefully, Sid will chime in with more info...

Rob S.

Back