What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tsam and Stars

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
photo.JPG

Isn?t this cool?! I didn?t take it ? the photo was done by a remarkable aviation photographer, Thomas Bunce, who lives in the Mojave area. Tom is an aerospace engineer who worked with us on the Shuttle program many years ago, moved to Dryden, and now finds himself creating art like this. This was shot on the spur of the moment, and if I knew it was going to turn out this gorgeous, I would have cleaned the desert dust off the canopy! I had lost track of Tom for many years, and we reconnected through magazine contacts. Tom shares a lot of his pictures on his Facebook page (Riveting Photos by Thomas J Bunce) and his web site www.rivetingphotos.com.

I spent all day Saturday at the Mojave Experimental Fly-in ? a very neat, grass-roots event with no real agenda other than folks looking at airplanes that are a little more on the edge than the average homebuilt today. This year, they had representatives from the NAA (the record sanctioning body) there all week, and a number of interesting airplanes set a number of new world records ? this is true experimenting!

I was asked to speak at their awards dinner in the evening, and was delighted to share a few thoughts with the crowd. Afterwards, it was about 9 pm, and I needed to fly up to Big Bear to spend the night. Tom followed us out to the ramp because he wanted to shoot pictures of Tsam ? when we got there, the wind was coming down out of the Tehachapi?s at 25 knots, gusting to 37. You?ll note on the picture that the tie-downs are still on ? that was to keep the airplane from blowing away!

The remarkable thing about this shot is that it was pitch black on the ramp ? no moon, no lights. Tom set up his camera on a tripod, then took almost 20 individual pictures by walking around and setting off his flash to illuminate different parts of the plane ? a wheel pant here, the spinner there, and so forth. He then stitched those shots together in his computer to make this overall picture (along with a star background). A very interesting process to watch.

As interesting was then getting into the airplane and taking off in that wind?but that?s another story (that turned out fine)?. ;)

Paul

It appears as if the photo was taken looking just a bit south of east. Perhaps at 110 or 120 degrees. Seem about right?

Dave

It'd be cool if that was ISS cruising by. If it isn't you should still tell people it is!:D

I think the title of this photo should be, "Tsam, We See You!"
(Explanation: "Tsam" is short for "Tsamsiyu." In the Na'vi language, it's pronounced "SAM-see-u" as pronounced here.)

Double entendre

I think the title of this photo should be, "Tsam, We See You!"
(Explanation: "Tsam" is short for "Tsamsiyu." In the Na'vi language, it's pronounced "SAM-see-u" as pronounced here.)

Also, in Na'vi culture, when you see the true spirit and soul of someone, you say, "I SEE you".

Don't let PhotoShop fool you

It appears as if the photo was taken looking just a bit south of east. Perhaps at 110 or 120 degrees. Seem about right?

Dave

My understanding is that the stars came from a photo of a different night, so the stars may have been shot looking in that direction and Tsam shot from a different orientation.

I think the title of this photo should be, "Tsam, We See You!"...

I suppose it would be too much to suggest that the title ought to be "Wind, Tsam, and Stars." (...and may the ghost of St. Ex have mercy upon my heathen, punning soul.):D

Computer magic

I bet Tom could remove those tie-downs and clean up your canopy on the computer. That shot belongs on a magazine cover. Absolutely stunning! :)

The technique of "painting" with a flash or steady light (flashlight or AC powered) is a really great technique. It requires a heavy ND ("Neutral Density" for non photographers and non google users) filter or nearly crossed polarizers to reduce the incoming light to a low level, and then you have to balance the exposure of ambient and flash, but that's not rocket science, just good metering. It works best if you have a very low-noise sensor or use film.

The streak of the stars suggests it was a single exposure. I suppose one could try and predict out the star motion and see if that aligns with the reported direction of Tsam, but that's too much work. I'll just enjoy the photo. :)

Great end result, no matter how.

TODR

...The streak of the stars suggests it was a single exposure. I suppose one could try and predict out the star motion and see if that aligns with the reported direction of Tsam, but that's too much work. I'll just enjoy the photo. :)

Great end result, no matter how.

TODR

As Louise stated, it is a composite photo with the sky photographed at a different time and place.

If you really want to appreciate Tom's skill even more - the airplane was rocking pretty good in the wind, so even though the camera was tripod mounted, the airplane wasn't in EXACTLY the same spot for each exposure - he had to line them up manually in the computer when he pasted them all together!

Larry, at least in cave photography the formations don't move (measurably) between exposures.... :)

Your canopy is dirty. :D

Yup - I'f I'd known the shot was going to turn out that cool, I'd have cleaned it! Then again, the winds were gusting so bad, I wouldn't have wanted to hold it open to get cleaning supplies - it was a dark and windy night....;)

Back