What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking at buying a RV-6 project - Need advice

durtracir

Everyone,

This is my first post to this group, thank you in advance for offering your insight.

I have a friend that has a stalled RV6 project. It is not a quick build, but he has the complete kit, no engine. He has completed 1 wing, the empennage, and all control surfaces. The other wing is in the jig and needs skinned.

My question is this:

1) What is a fair price?

2) Would I be better off buying a kit from Vans?

Thanks,
Barry

Welcome to VAF!

Everyone,

This is my first post to this group, thank you in advance for offering your insight.

Barry, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

I have a friend that has a stalled RV6 project. It is not a quick build, but he has the complete kit, no engine. He has completed 1 wing, the empennage, and all control surfaces. The other wing is in the jig and needs skinned.

My question is this:

1) What is a fair price?

2) Would I be better off buying a kit from Vans?

Thanks,
Barry

You would most likely be well off to find a builder in the area who is familiar with the pre-prepunched kits and have him take a look at the project.

As to buying new from Vans, the 6 is no longer available, you will get a 7 instead, and it will be either all prepunched, or quick built-----whichever you choose.

Last edited:
I think Mike means the Pre-prepunched kits. :) I agree though, have an old school builder look at the work to make sure it's good.

The -6 will likely be a great buy for the right person. Same general specs as the -7 at a fraction of the price.

I don't think it's fair for anyone on the board to give a price not knowing the quality, age and amount of parts/hardware with it.

You see -6 kits go from $4000 to $24000 on barnstormers though.

Thanks Mike

Mike,

I have looked at the project as well as our EAA tech counselor and the build quality is great with no issues. I realize that it is not pre punched and will take considerably more time.

Barry

One more area you need to be aware of, and that is fuel tanks.

Depending on the age, there may be an issue with the tank being "sloshed".

Mike,

Checked on the tank slosh, it has grey proseal in the tanks.

Thanks for the comparison, I think I am getting a fair deal on this project. I will keep you posted and let you know.

It has the finishing kit (all kits) included. All hardware etc.

Still negotiating........

As to buying new from Vans, the 6 is no longer available, you will get a 7 instead, and it will be either all prepunched, or quick built-----whichever you choose.

I think all RV-6 kits are still available except the emp kit. Vans wants you to purchase RV-7 kits if starting a new project. But the other -6 kits are still for sale so an existing project can be completed.

Back