What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2013 Oshkosh RV Social

How much beer?

• One for me.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Two please.

Votes: 98 38.0%
  • Three is about right.

Votes: 89 34.5%
  • Four or more.

Votes: 51 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unfortunately, if I make Oshkosh at all this year, it'll be Thurs or Friday towards the end of the week before I can get there so I'll definitely miss out on both the RV Social and the Vans Banquet. My Johnson Creek trip last month wiped out most of my flying budget for the summer, plus work schedule issues preclude me from going at the beginning of the week this year.

Andrew, I'll miss out on that scotch... have a dram for me. The scotchfest at Petit Jean last fall was a blast. If I do manage to get up there by the closing weekend, I'll likely have a bottle of good bourbon with me... I've been turning into a bit of a bourbon snob lately.

Scotch??

007 will bring some "Old #7" Jack Daniels.
Andrew, You seemed to enjoy JD at BadLands.

Joel
RV4.8 ER
N85007

Hey Dan,
Lets have a stack of name tags and a sharpie handy.

30vofgj.jpg

Last edited:
There isn't a choice for "no beer" (in the poll at the top of the thread), but I'll try to make it, as this is my first year to be active on VAF.

Last edited:
There isn't a choice for "no beer", but I'll try to make it, as this is my first year to be active on VAF.

There's always a choice of no beer and plenty of folks will join you. Dan and the Beer Fairy just want to know how much beer to buy. For all other refreshments, it's BYOB (see earlier posts). Come and enjoy the fellowship!

Dan, I'm practicing (as you know). I'll drink theirs. I don't have far to go ;-) Now I have to haul some 4130 too!

Buchanan's 1800

Andrew, I'll probably have a bottle of Buchanan's 1800 with me. I'll only share this with a chosen view:) Usually the vendors in which I need something:eek::eek: Still waiting on the Gemini 880.

I need to get Rob and Jenn there so I can be first in line for the AFS 5500 Touch Screens.

Hmmmm who else do I need to ply???

Oh yeah, JD Air is sponsoring some of the Barley Pop. Also will have some prizes too.

Lets have a stack of name tags and a sharpie handy.

You bet. Anyone who fails to wear one will be given a wedgie.

For all other refreshments, it's BYOB (see earlier posts). Come and enjoy the fellowship!

That's the ticket. The Beer Fairy loves you even if you don't love beer. Bring anything you want within the bounds of decency. I recommend you bring a lightweight chair.

Allrighty then

The 'Ol Flyin' Fish and the "other RV1" will be there since I'll be workin' in HBC all day..should be 'bout 2-3 beers...oh and Paul Dye, I just might have some Elijah with me fer a toast to aviation.:D

3TB still is minus a fuse and a right wing, so our Subaru will be making her second drive from Denver to OSH. We'll be there, can't wait!

Three comments:

1) Chicago is performing on Monday night. Normally, this conflict would cause me angst, but after their performance last time at Oshkosh, I'll be at the RV Social. :(

2) From the e-mails I have received, at least one representative from NationAir will be in attendance. Considering their cooperation in relinquishing their space for our event, I just wanted to mention their company name again. :D

3) Not much of a beer fan, but I'll do my part. And I'll bring along a little something special for Andrew and friends. Some Ardbeg of some sort OK?

This will be our first time @ Oshkosh for my wife and I. We have a 6 awaiting engine and instruments. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

...which is precisely what The Social is all about.

By the numbers: With a week-and-a-half to go, we have 219 poll voters ordering 576 tasty servings for themselves, family, and friends. We have others bringing a wee nip, and even more bringing a no-alcohol sip. Last year we handed out something over 300 name tags. I'm guessing we'll be in the 350 ballpark this year. Looks like Captain Renault has rounded up the usual suspects, so don't be bashful! The Social is a block of OSH time reserved to put faces with names.

Bring a lightweight chair if you have it. If it looks stormy bring an umbrella, as this is a rain-or-shine event. No real food plans, so grab a sandwich on the way if you wish to eat.

On a serious note, I would ask everyone to watch over your friends. If the evening involves a vehicle, please pick a designated driver. If merely walking back to camp, a good sheep dog should do fine ;)

Last edited:
Me and a 10 year old. Plus a cropduster engineer test pilot from TX and 2 USAF T-38 instructors (that will be flying a Cessna to OSH). We'll probably split a 6-pack....or so;)

Had a note from Mark Giron, our RV buddy at FAA HQ. He is very well liked among those in our community who know him.

For those who don't remember, Marc was the fellow who organized an informal feedback session in Homebuilt Camping last year. This year he wrote to ask if the Social would be a good place to chat with RV'ers. What, are you kidding me? Heck yes!

So, if you see Marc kicked back at one of the tables, introduce yourself and join the conversation. I think he has two particular subjects of interest, but I'll bet you can ask him anything. Well, almost anything. His -6 may slower than Bob Axsom's. Maybe you don't want to bring that up ;)

Last edited:
Had a note from Marc Giron, our RV buddy at FAA HQ. He is very well liked among those in our community who know him.

For those who don't remember, Marc was the fellow who organized an informal feedback session in Homebuilt Camping last year. This year he wrote to ask if the Social would be a good place to chat with RV'ers. What, are you kidding me? Heck yes!

So, if you see Marc kicked back at one of the tables, introduce yourself and join the conversation. I think he has two particular subjects of interest, but I'll bet you can ask him anything. Well, almost anything. His -6 may slower than Bob Axsom's. Maybe you don't want to bring that up ;)

That's great news, Dan! Mark seems like a real stand-up guy (for a Fed.) I hope everybody will gather around for a bit and get to know him. Attendance was sparse last year, and there was some great discussion! This should be a much better venue for an informal chat. Off the record. No shirts and hats with N-numbers. ;-)

Oh, and tell him to be sure to wear a hat with FAA in big letters so we'll know who he is. :)

Last edited:
Always "Here to help". See you there!

Dan, thanks for the intro and the opportunity. As the ol' saying goes, I'm from the FAA and here to ...well you all know how that goes. This could be a particularly tough year for the FAA at Airventure with all the talk about paying for the controllers, sequestration, etc. I'll leave that discussion up to those smarter and more informed than me. However, I am of the opinion that we (meaning you and I) can make a few great strides this year when it comes to Phase I flight test safety. Two biggies on the table that I've been working on-- two on board during Phase I, and allowing the transition training providers holding LODAs to do more with their authorizations. If you have an opinion (and who doesn't in this group?) let me hear it. I look forward to seeing the folks from last year who showed up in the HBC area, and to meeting new friends this year. I'll be speaking in two forums, 1pm with Charlie Precourt at the EAA welcome center, and at 4pm in more detail about what we're proposing. These are important topics. You CAN help make a difference. Ok, so keep the arrows in the quiver (or at least targeting non-vital organs) and Don M, i'll wear a pair of waterproof shoes and pants, just in case that whiskey jumps from the glass again:eek:!

Fly Safe and see you all out in OSH!
Mark

Last edited:
... and Don M, i'll wear a pair of waterproof shoes and pants, just in case that whiskey jumps from the glass again:eek:!

Dang ... and I thought you forgot about that. :-(

Want some in a glass this year, Mark?

Despite what many say about the FAA, it has some really good, young folks that love aviation working for it, and in my experience, Mark is one of them. I'm glad to have him in the RV camp, the Homebuilder world - and deep undercover within the FAA. Looking forward to seeing him at OSH, and the Rv gathering!

Hallo, I'll be in Osh for the whole week with Luca "Luke" Perazzolli and a couple of friends.
For me obviously 4 or more...

The will be at least a couple of Aussies with RVs in the crowds at Oshkosh this year. We're looking forward to meeting some of you guys in person!

Cheers

Wow! an international event

It sounds like you are going to have a great time. Since you are going to be in the area anyway you might be interested in seeing the finish of the 400 nautical mile AirVenture Cup race the day before the AirVenture event begins at Waupaca, WI around 30 miles away on Sunday 7-28-13 weather permitting. There is a WIDE range of speeds so the finish window will be LONG! The fastest aircraft are launched first so the tendency is to spread out and not to bunch up - it is strictly a speed event. The launch time is scheduled to be at 0930 CDT (1430Z) but VMC is required over the entire course before the start is allowed and I have sat into the afternoon in previous races before conditions allow the race to begin. The two Turboprop Legends will probably be crossing the finish line by 11 CDT and the Taylorcraft will be sometime later. The RV-6A will be me.

Turbine Legend
Turbine Legend
Unlimited GP-5
Sport SX-300
Sport Legacy
Sport Legacy
Sport Sx-300
Sport SX-300
Sport Legacy
Sport SX-300
Sport Glasair III
Sport FX Rocket F-1
Sport FX Harmon Rocket
Sport MCT Defiant
Sport Seawind
RG Blue GP-4
Rg Blue Berkut
RG Blue Lancair 360
RG Blue Lancair 360
RG Blue GP-4
RG Red Lancair 320
FX Blue Glasair 1 TD
FX Blue Mustang II
FX Blue Glasair I
FX Blue Long EZ
FX Red Glasair II TD
FX Red Cozy III
FX Red Long EZ
FX Red Long EZ
RV Blue RV-7A
RV Blue RV-8
RV Blue RV-8
RV Blue RV-6A
RV Blue RV-7A
RV Blue RV-6
RV Blue RV-4
RV Blue RV-6
RV Blue RV-7A
Sprint Long EZ
Sprint Q-200
Sprint VariEze
Sprint Long EZ
Sprint Midget Mustang
Sportsman Sonerai I
FAC1RG Mooney M20J
FAC1RG Comanche PA-24-400
FAC1RG Bonanza S-35
FAC6 Diamond DA-20
Heavy Metal CJ-6
Twin 2 C-310Q
Vintage Taylorcraft

Bob Axsom

Plans are finalized; will definitely be making the trip. Looking forward to experiencing Oshkosh for the first time and meeting some of you all.

We will be there, very nice initiative !

Jurgen Roeland, building RV7 in Belgium
Hugo Van Ruyskensvelde, building RV9 in Belgium.

Looking forward to meet the people on this forum in real life.
Cheers

OK gang, 100 paces past the guard shack on Waukau, look for "Nationair" and the Beer Fairy. We' re in the back yard.

Great time!

It was a great gathering! Thanks to Dan for arranging again this year and MANY thanks for the Good beer! :D Nice to visit with old friends and make new ones.
Hope to see everyone next year!

I think everyone was having way too good of time to step away from the conversation and take pictures. Kudos to Dan for an excellent gathering!

If you weren't there, you were missed....

Got to meet several people that I hadn't spoken with before.

Spotted Cow is my favorite beer now. By the way...available in cases at Costco in Wisconsin. Spotted Cow was the tap on the left.

DanH gave away a door prize. I couldn't hear what the prize was or who won it, but congratulations.

DR was missing, but thats OK we talked about him behind his back.

Listening to all the people talk about their finished RV's and their first flights into OSH were very inspiring.

Note to self...visit Jay at RV Central. ;)

Dan, NationAir and anyone else involved in organizing or buying beer, thank you very much.

IMG_0513.JPG

One other thing. If you didn't make it you missed the color changing beer cups. If you had nice cold beer in the cup it was blue, if your cup was empty it was a translucent white.

I never thought i needed that kind of help before, but I have to admit having a visual cue that my beer was either warm or not there was very cool.

I tried to get a good picture, but here you can see my normally golden beer has a bit of a blue hue to it. Sorry this photo doesn't do it justice.

IMG_0514.JPG

It was a great event. Nice to meet a bunch in person.

Thanks NationAir, Dan and the fairy!

Last edited:
Yes! It was fun meeting a bunch of web friends in person.
Thanks for puting this on. Hope we can do it again soon.

Jeez, now that I am home I find my and son Brian's picture front and center.

It was great to meet folks and put faces with names. Thanks again Dan and Nation Air (my insurer!)

Extra neat to meet Luke from Italy!!

After action report:

Counted this AM and determined we handed out a little over 350 stick-on name tags. A great many attendees were wearing business name tags and didn't need a stick-on. WAG is 400-450 folks total. The yard held 'em all just fine.

Apparently pilots lie about how much they drink. The last keg ran dry about 7:40! It looked like one of those depths-of-the-Amazon piranha films in front of the taps. Note to self; multiply beer poll total by 1.5.

For those who really liked the Fixed Gear Amber (middle tap), here's the rest of the story...it's 6.8 ABV. Now you know why you were a bit wobbly walking home :D

The crowd included all the Usual Suspects from VAF, at least one representative from the FAA, the Van's tent crew (including the boss), a certain well known formation team, plus six maids a-milking, five leaping lords, and probably a few French hens.

I appreciate all your kind comments, but please add Jenny, Stein, Rhonda, and Darwin to your thank-you list. And of course the Beer Fairy.

f52at4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!

To everyone involved in this get together...."Thanks". This was my first time to OSH and getting to meet so many folks in person was sure a great part of the overall experience for me. I even got to chat with Van himself. All this and beer, too. Very nice and very fun. Again...thanks!

I really liked this informal get together. The only downside was that we wandered right over there as soon as the booth closed and started testing all the varieties of suds. Between the SteinAir crew, Rhonda, and Allen (Ok, maybe Jay, Louise, Paul, Scott, Tanya and Danny helped), I think we are guilty for a bit of the shortfall! Also, those darned "Color Changing Collectible Barrett Beer Cups" kept forcing me to refill them to keep the stuff cold, so by the time 7:00 rolled around we were all feeling pretty good...and then had to leave, so I didn't get to see some of you.

I really hope this happens again next year. I liked the informality of it, the fact that everyone could stand around telling lies, and overall just have a good time.

Reminder to self next year...get more snacks. Not only do RVer's lie or severely underestimate their average consumption of adult beverages, they also are a ravenous bunch! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Double

I was thinking about that Poll. Asking pilots if they want 1 2 3 or 4. I have had plenty around my hangar and there is no such thing as 1 2 or 3.

I think the formula for the poll if you ask that way in the future is do the poll and multiply times 5 and you may be in the ball park.

I hope to be next year there so I will be one of the honest ones......:D

Last edited:
Great turnout and tasty suds!

Thanks to everyone who put that together. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to next year.

While I enjoyed the social, there is one item I wanted to raise. I do not drink and that was not an issue, my son and I brought our own. But as I was drinking my last bottle, I had two different young people ask where I got it as they were looking for something to drink. To whoever planned the social, what would it take to have some root beer (keeping to the beer theme)? I am willing to help.

To whoever planned the social, what would it take to have some root beer (keeping to the beer theme)?

Fair suggestion. We're experimenters; we learn as we go.

BTW, there was an ice cream/soft drinks/food stand in the front yard of the house next door.

Back