What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Database Update purchase for Each Unit?

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I went to update my databases for my dual screen G3x panel and Garmin said I had to purchase databases for each unit. My understanding was I only had to purchase one update per system, not per unit.

Is that typical for Dynon, Grand Rapids, and other systems? It doesnt make sense to be why I would need two but if that is normal, I will accept it and pay the money!

I went to update my databases for my dual screen G3x panel and Garmin said I had to purchase databases for each unit. My understanding was I only had to purchase one update per system, not per unit.

I am sorry you were misled. The databases are identified by System ID. You only need to purchase 1 database subscription per system ID (multiple G3X screens). You will however update each screen individually. If you are equipped with an IFR navigator like a GTN, then that relies on its own subscription.

For the US, VFR Databases are $49/yr (Including VFR Sectionals and SafeTaxi Charts), IFR Databases are $149/yr (Adding the Geo-Referenced IFR FliteCharts and Airport Directory). A NavData database subscription for a Garmin IFR navigator is $299/yr.

BR,

Brad

Last edited:
EDIT : I just got off the phone with support and got it worked out. I only had to buy 1 database. It was my error in how I was trying to add devices rather than purchase database. Now I can update from my 2014 database!

I am sorry you were misled. The databases are identified by System ID. You only need to purchase 1 database subscription per system ID (multiple screens). You will however update each screen individually.

For the US, VFR Databases are $49/yr (Including VFR Sectionals and SafeTaxi Charts), IFR Databases are $149/yr (Adding the Geo-Referenced IFR FliteCharts and Airport Directory).

BR,

Brad

This is why I had the question. It is an email I just got from Garmin:

Sir on a G3X Touch, do all your units share the same system ID? Or are they different? If they are different youre going to need to buy individual databases for each G3X Touch. IF they are the same you will just need to buy a bundle and it would work but they have to have the same system ID's for that to be the case.

Best Regards,

Collin

If you can tell me how to buy one database to update my two panels, I would sure appreciate it.

Last edited:
This is why I had the question. It is an email I just got from Garmin:

Sir on a G3X Touch, do all your units share the same system ID? Or are they different? If they are different youre going to need to buy individual databases for each G3X Touch. IF they are the same you will just need to buy a bundle and it would work but they have to have the same system ID's for that to be the case.

Best Regards,

Collin

If you can tell me how to buy one database to update my two panels, I would sure appreciate it.

If you have a panel with dual G3X Touch Screens, then they share the same system ID. This is verified by looking in Menu>Tools>Database Information>System ID. This is the ID you will register on FlyGarmin.com, and the database package you load to the SD card will update both screens.

Different system IDs would assume different aircraft. If you have different system IDs in one aircraft panel, something is awry. The system ID is held in the Configuration Module in the PFD connector backshell, where there is 1 per system.

BR,

Brad

Clarify

So I have one config module in the G3X PFD and one in the GNX375. So therefore I have two system IDs I need to update; one for the G3x and one for the navigator?

Since I have the navigator I will be updating, can I just do a VFR update to the g3X, or does it ned to be IFR too?

So I have one config module in the G3X PFD and one in the GNX375. So therefore I have two system IDs I need to update; one for the G3x and one for the navigator?

Since I have the navigator I will be updating, can I just do a VFR update to the g3X, or does it ned to be IFR too?

Correct, you will have a database subscription for the non-TSO units (G3X Touch Screens), and a certified IFR database subscription for the IFR Navigator (GNX/GTN). All IFR navigators, regardless of brand, require their own IFR database subscription.

Yes - you can absolutely update the G3X screen with a VFR database subscription if you wish, and the NavData only for the GNX to minimize costs. You would then rely on another source for your in-cockpit IFR Charts (Garmin Pilot on an iPad or paper charts, for example).

BR,

Brad

Last edited:
I am sorry you were misled. The databases are identified by System ID. You only need to purchase 1 database subscription per system ID (multiple G3X screens). You will however update each screen individually. If you are equipped with an IFR navigator like a GTN, then that relies on its own subscription.

For the US, VFR Databases are $49/yr (Including VFR Sectionals and SafeTaxi Charts), IFR Databases are $149/yr (Adding the Geo-Referenced IFR FliteCharts and Airport Directory). A NavData database subscription for a Garmin IFR navigator is $299/yr.

BR,

Brad

lol, I wasn't aware of the fact that both screens needed to be up dated till I did the PFD and powered it all up. Got the message on the MFD "data bases mismatched" or something like that. So, I plugged the SD card into the MFD and all worked out great.

Back