What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Rib Pricing?

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Looking to build new fuel tanks for the Rocket and I'm putting together my BOM. The Rocket shares a common airfoil with the -4, -6, -7 and -8, so any of those tank ribs should work. Looking at the Van's store, there is a dramatic difference between the prices of the tank ribs between the models. The -7 is significantly less expensive (like half) than the -8, for example. Any idea why this is so?

I could be wrong but I believe the 4 and 6 share the same tank ribs and the 7 and 8 share the same ones but are different than the 4 and 6. The attachment to the wing spar is totally different on the 4/6 and the 7/8. I remember using the 4 ribs on a Rocket and IIRC the 6 ribs use the 4 part number as well. IIRC the 7/8 have a 7 part# for either of the two.

According to the Van's site, I see the following prices:

T-404L - $16.00
T-704L - $13.30
T-804L - $43.75

If there is any logic to the series, these are all the equivalent part (position, form, function, etc)

BIG price difference for stamped aluminum.

Last edited:
When I built up replacement tanks for my current 6A, Vans sent me 7 ribs instead, something about 6 ribs no longer available. I had to cut off the rear flanges & fabricate new ones to conform to the 6 spar, which created a couple extra areas to seal, no big deal. So, I'd go with the cheaper 7 ribs, or 4 ribs if you can still get them.

My RV-8 plans call out the T-704 ribs. I think the T-804 ribs are probably for the old pre -1 wing that was not fully pre-punched.

Back