What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for RV8 Demo Ride -Anywhere

ATMerrill

I'm New Here
Hello from Alaska!! New to the forum and new to the whole concept of building my own plane. Have been researching for the last couple of months, staking the forum and learning as much as I can. I really like the RV8 but before I set my heart on thinking this is the direction I’d like to go (wife has given me permission to move forward) I’d like to actually sit and ride in one. With Covid and Vans not doing demos that leaves me wondering what to do. There is an RV7 owner he in Anchorage but he isn’t returning messages but I prefer the 8. I have leave and plenty of AK airlines miles and if you’d be willing I’ll pay for gas. Thanks
-Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned an RV-8 for five years (several hundred hours of flight time)

There is lots to like about the RV-8 including:

1) Solid speed and range
2) Great visibility
3) Decent in turbulence
4) Surprisingly decent amount of space for soft sided luggage. You will be pleasantly surprised how much fits in the forward baggage area.
5) Great looking airplane

The one significant downside -- and this may be important to you in Alaska -- The heat is not all that effective. Especially in the passenger (back) seat. On mine, the canopy had a tendency to lift up a little in the back causing a cool blast of air on the passenger's neck.

Overall, loved the airplane.

If you’re ever in PHX (winter is firmly here now, gonna be 68 today! Brrr!) you’re welcome to visit me at Chandler airport.

Let me put it this way... Every time I land and open the canopy, I wonder why EVERYONE doesn’t have an RV-8.

They’re that good.

PM me for more of you like.

The heat is not all that effective. Especially in the passenger (back) seat. On mine, the canopy had a tendency to lift up a little in the back causing a cool blast of air on the passenger's neck.

Easily fixed with a good canopy seal and heated seats. Added a defrost fan on the top side of the glareshield that brings the heat up across the canopy to the back seat. Only have a single heat muff on mine and have been up flying with an OAT of -10C and not a peep from my spousal unit about being cold, and believe you me, she gets cold real easy and would definitely let me know.

Agree with all the pluses that Bruce mentioned.

Andrew, I’m sure someone a bit closer to you will offer up a ride but if they don’t, I’m just east of Nashville.

When I gave a ride in my -8A to a CFII buddy, I was surprised that he had had enough after an hour. Why? The slight fishtailing of the airplane in even the least amount of turbulence was felt in the back seat as a side to side motion that got to him. Up front, I'd never noticed...

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the feedback. Scotty I may take you up on your offer. I will be in PHX in august for sure as we are bringing my son down for school/AZ Natl guard. Even if I’ve decided to pull the proverbial trigger before then I’ll
Stop by and say hi.

Karl- I may be in tennesse in the next few months. We are looking at properties on Kentucky lake for retirement in 10 years. If we make it down I’ll look you up.

Andrew, I’m just east of Karl in Chattanooga, Tn. I’d be glad to take you up if your over this way.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the feedback. Scotty I may take you up on your offer. I will be in PHX in august for sure as we are bringing my son down for school/AZ Natl guard.

You will absolutely LOVE PHX in August......;)

-Marc

Alaska Airlines flies into Medford, Oregon. Any time you like, when the weather is good. I'll pick you up at Millionaire FBO. I'm assuming you work for Alaska? If so, you could even do it during a long layover so it would be a paid trip.

You guys are awesome. Yes PHX will be amazing in August but dropping the minion off at tech school discusses the timing. Otherwise I’d come down now..... wait it was warmer here in ANC (+20F) this morning then it was in TXS at +9..... you did somebody
Forget to turn the heater on or leave a door open?

Steve-
I don’t work for AK Airline. I work for the State (AK State Trooper) and cover the bush so I fly a lot to the areas I supervise and end up with a lot of miles. I took my first flight at 12 in Vale Oregon. I flew for the state for about 10’years in Cessna 206. Have been ridding a desk for the past 7 years and it is time to get back in the seat. If I make it down that way (might have to make a trip) depending on the covid stuff I’ll give you a shout.

Photo test. Didn’t realize it, but after 500 hours in my RV8, I still have the RV grin.
5139-E557-50-B7-4528-AE0-B-759396-D10108.jpg

Last edited:
RV6 At Kenai

Hello from Alaska!! New to the forum and new to the whole concept of building my own plane. Have been researching for the last couple of months, staking the forum and learning as much as I can. I really like the RV8 but before I set my heart on thinking this is the direction I’d like to go (wife has given me permission to move forward) I’d like to actually sit and ride in one. With Covid and Vans not doing demos that leaves me wondering what to do. There is an RV7 owner he in Anchorage but he isn’t returning messages but I prefer the 8. I have leave and plenty of AK airlines miles and if you’d be willing I’ll pay for gas. Thanks
-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Live in Nikiski, RV-6 parked at the Kenai Airport. This weekend looks good for flying (Feb20-21), if interested more than happy to see what you think of a RV-6.

I was originally planning on a RV4, then my daughter says, "Oh goodie, I get to learn to fly!". Next thing you know I found my RV-6. Glad I got the side by side. She loves flying it every chance she gets.

Send me a PM if you're interested. We can exchange phone/email to make it happen.

Have a friend who has a RV-6A and is currently building an 8.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Ride in Seattle in RV8

Hi, Andrew.

I'm in Seattle and I have an RV8. If you pass this way, I'd be happy to take you up. It's a really fun plane.

Warmest regards,

Seth

If you ever make it to Mojave,I can put you in a 200 HP -8 and a Rocket back to back.

Fair warning though, that will pretty much kill your desire for an -8.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew, if you can get yourself over to Pa. you will be very welcome to try my RV 8. Back seat I am afraid, but as much time as you would like.
Just one unfortunate caveat....my field is under a layer of snow, then soggy grass for a couple of weeks or so.

Regards, Brent

Thanks

Brent if I make it that way I will give you a shout. I totally expect that I simply be a back seat passenger... 🙂 which is more than enough so I can get a feel. Maybe even a chance to sit in the front seat on the ground and I’ll
Supply the airline noises. 😉🤣😂

Back