What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Injection gurus, help!

I'm trying to get my new engine started for the first time. It's an IO-360-M1B.

It cranks and cranks, but no start. In my troubleshooting of spark & fuel, I've found one curious thing about the fuel: I can verify fuel flow through the entire system right up to the flow divider, but there's no fuel coming out the aluminum lines to the fuel injectors. The spark plugs are also dry after start attempts.

I actually have a spare flow divider from my last engine which I suppose I could try tomorrow (with a full charge on the battery); I just figured an engine right out of the box should run right out of the box..

Thoughts?

Brooks

Plunger is stuck in the divider. Pull the top four screws off, pull diaphragm off, carefully clean the plunger up with a fine scotchbrite pad, and reassemble.

And perhaps check to see if fuel comes to the fuel divider on top, process of elimination till you have found the source.

Plunger is stuck in the divider. Pull the top four screws off, pull diaphragm off, carefully clean the plunger up with a fine scotchbrite pad, and reassemble.

I think this may be the issue. I removed the top, had to really work to get that plunger out. As for fixing it, not my problem. It's a brand new unit, and it's going back to the manufacturer. I've got my old Precision Airmotive flow divider on there now; I'll fire it up in the morning.

Thanks!

May not be your issue but I had the same problem on first start.
I found the steel AN fitting at the exit of the servo fuel line blocked with the metal punched from the fitting when made. I was not getting fuel up to the divider. Simple fix but tough to find.

Conclusion: I removed the AV Star flow divider and replaced it with my old (but serviceable) Precision Airmotive unit. The engine fired right up.

Back