What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone got a prop governor oil line to swap?

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I have had a new 75167 oil line on order for weeks and I'm now told it will be at least two more weeks before it's shipped. This is the stainless steel oil pressure line from the governor that I'm looking for. Does anyone have a new one they aren't using? I have the new one coming and will ship it to you as soon as it arrives...this is a long shot, I know.

Last edited:
Try giving Tom a call at TS Flightlines. I can't promise but, historically, lines are shipped out very quickly.

Oil line

Mark,
I have a IO-320 Titan from 2013 that was shipped with an oil line. I am fixed pitch for now so I still have the line.
Up to you to check to see if it is the same.
James Ball was my rep then and I am sure he could answer the question as to compatibility.
I could stop by the hanger on the way home tonight and ship tomorrow if you can confirm.

Mark,
I have a IO-320 Titan from 2013 that was shipped with an oil line. I am fixed pitch for now so I still have the line.
James Ball was my rep then and I am sure he could answer the question as to compatibility.
I could stop by the hanger on the way home tonight and ship tomorrow if you can confirm.

Thanks Mark...I'll check into it and let you know!

Try giving Tom a call at TS Flightlines. I can't promise but, historically, lines are shipped out very quickly.

I talked to Tom, but he doesn't make the hard line...flex is an option, but i'd prefer the stainless steel line

Mark,

Just sent you a PM...

WE 'can' make stainless rigid tubes. The issue is the various governor fitting styles for the original governors. Some had 45* fittings, some had straights. So that changes the length and shape of the tube around the engine mount.
Everything forward to the case fitting is the same. Gee----if we had examples of these, we could scan them and duplicate them.
Looks like Lycoming had 4 different part numbers, with 75166 and 75167 being the most popular for A1A, A1AD, and M1B versions.

If we could 'borrow' a 75167 and 75166, we could scan them and return them to the owner, that way we'd have a known good example.

Tom

WE 'can' make stainless rigid tubes. The issue is the various governor fitting styles for the original governors. Some had 45* fittings, some had straights. So that changes the length and shape of the tube around the engine mount.
Everything forward to the case fitting is the same. Gee----if we had examples of these, we could scan them and duplicate them.
Looks like Lycoming had 4 different part numbers, with 75166 and 75167 being the most popular for A1A, A1AD, and M1B versions.

If we could 'borrow' a 75167 and 75166, we could scan them and return them to the owner, that way we'd have a known good example.

Tom

I thought I remembered a video of a very fancy tube bending machine you had. As much as Lycoming charges for these, and the fact that most of the aftermarket sellers (Aircraft Specialties Services in Tulsa, for example since that's where my order is from), are buying them from Lycoming and the fact that no one has them in stock would seem to indicate a good market for someone with your machinery and capabilities.

According the SI 1435, the 75166 has a straight fitting instead of the 45 degree fitting and is appropriate for planes with generators, so I don't see that being a great market. If you provided the 75167, I think you could sell a few of them!

Yep, most of what I've seen were 75167 for the 45* fitting. In addition to the CNC bender, we have a CMM coordinate scanner to profile rigid tubes. Pretty cool. Steve has gotten really good at it, and has interfaced it with the bender to produce rigid tubes. WE do the RV14 valve lines and the RV12IS fuel lines that way. Can do it with a mockup tube that fits.

Tom

Hey guess what I found? a 75167 in my --well stash--
I'll send it to Steve and get him to scan it and make a prototype.
If it alll works out well, we'll have them for everyone.

Tom

Oil line

Mark,
Picked mine up from the hanger this morning and it is a 3/8" 304 stainless line.
It does not have any tag or other numbers.
I am looking at the Lycoming SI-1435 and my IO-320-A4J is not shown.
Also it does not look like the one pictured. From the illustration it looks like the one shown is for a 45 degree fitting and it looks like mine is for a straight.
312wn42.jpg
[/IMG]
akyatl.jpg
[/IMG]
13zopr5.jpg
[/IMG]

Mark---I dont show the A4J either, but with the straight nipple its a 75166. So Mark Dickens' tube is shaped different at the governor.

Mark D---I'll email you a pic of the one I have--
Tom

Oil Line

The FAA PMA approved parts for Lycoming(R) engines manufactured by Continental Motors have a prefix of "AEL" on the part numbers. The oil line is part # AEL75167.

The majority of the parts that Titan engines are assembled with are certified parts. The only parts that are not certified are those that have some design characteristics to improve performance, durability, or to reduce weight.

Sometimes you just have to laugh or you'll go nuts. So after being told on Monday by Aircraft Specialty Services that it would be two weeks at least before the oil line was shipped, I get a box today with TWO of them. I only ordered one...and of course, MarkW's line will be here tomorrow, so I go from zero oil lines to three of them in less than 24 hours. Now, I have my choice of which oil line I want to install, hah hah. Amazing....just amazing.

The FAA PMA approved parts for Lycoming(R) engines manufactured by Continental Motors have a prefix of "AEL" on the part numbers. The oil line is part # AEL75167.

The majority of the parts that Titan engines are assembled with are certified parts. The only parts that are not certified are those that have some design characteristics to improve performance, durability, or to reduce weight.

Thanks JB, both for your help today and clarification on the part numbers!

Back