What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hotel Whisky fuel door

pa38112

Well Known Member
I am looking for photos of how people did their fuel door when adding Hotel Whisky ER tanks? - Trying to get my plan together before the tanks arrive.
Thanks!

I haven’t made any doors in fiberglass yet, but what I would do is to lay a 3 ply buildup of carbon fiber inside the wingtip in the area before you cut it open. Then cut the door out, leaving a few small “tics” where you don’t cut it yet. Then put clear packing tape inside the door that you are going to cut out, and lay 2 or 3 layers of carbon strips along the cut lines to make a flange that won’t stick to the door. When that’s cures, carefully cut the “tics” that were left and the door should pop out of the hole, leaving behind a flange. The carbon should keep the door very stiff and will have the exact curvature of the wing from where it was cut from.

By the way, mine are going in already painted wing-tips. I would rather not re-paint, so I am thinking of trying to cut the hole and re-use the cut-out as the door, or maype a polished aluminum door.

I made my doors out of aluminum. No compound curves. This was on the RV-7 "bat-wing" tips.

Back