What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using Ignitech CDI modules in RV-12

rtlongdon

I just finished repairing an intermittent wiring issue on one of my CDI modules (yellow stripe 966-727's). The problem was a broken coil output wire (broken inside the jacketing). Each module has about 300 hours. I'm weighing options for when further issues crop up. That $1171 each price tag is eye watering.:eek:

I know there has been discussion of Ignitech CDI modules on the forum in the past, however has anyone actually installed them in an RV-12? I have communicated with multiple people who use them and love them, but no one with an RV-12. Mostly I'm curious where one might install them. I see Ignitech would like them installed off engine and preferably on the cockpit side of the firewall.

https://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/bikes/rotax/rotax_912_and_914/rotax_912_and_914.htm

Thanks!

Russ,
I’ve been using them for a couple years now and mounted them on the firewall, left side engine compartment, next to the brake fluid reservoir. The cables are secured to existing hose and then branch to the original plug location.
Where the modules use to mount I make a stiffened piece of stainless sheet metal to bridge the mounting location.
I used heavy duty Velcro at the bottom and back of each module to secure them to the firewall. They are not stacked on each other but side by side, and the inside one gets a little hotter according to the temperature strip on each one.
Both have been working well since installation two years ago.

Thanks for the reply. That was the area I was eye-ballilng if I make the change.

Would you be willing to share any photos if you have them? I'm trying to get a feel for size and layout. I've seen pictures of them, but don't have a good sense of scale. I'm guessing similar size to the existing modules?

Chafed ignition wiring

I just finished repairing an intermittent wiring issue on one of my CDI modules (yellow stripe 966-727's). The problem was a broken coil output wire (broken inside the jacketing).

Speaking of intermittent ignition wiring, also be on the lookout for chafed ignition wires under the ignition coils. Attached are some pictures of some really bad chafing that I found when I looked at mine. In my case I had a broken rubber "buffer" that looks like it had been broken a long time (previous owner, don't get me started). I think that allowed a lot of vibration in the coil assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3362.jpg
    IMG_3362.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 63
Speaking of intermittent ignition wiring, also be on the lookout for chafed ignition wires under the ignition coils. Attached are some pictures of some really bad chafing that I found when I looked at mine. In my case I had a broken rubber "buffer" that looks like it had been broken a long time (previous owner, don't get me started). I think that allowed a lot of vibration in the coil assembly.

Bob, thanks for the post. I dove deeper after my initial repair and I noted the same wear pattern on the other of my 6+6 harnesses. One had worn through, a couple others were close (identical to your photos). After that is when I did a test for further internal breaks and found another. It made me pucker since I spend a lot of time out over the Cascade Mountains in the PNW!

I accessed my coils tonight as I decided to order the Ignitech modules as I just don't feel warm and fuzzy with what else might lie beneath. If two wires (that I know of) work hardened and broke, who says the others aren't soon to follow.

I won't get my new modules for a few days so decided to take a look at the coils based on your finding. First off, what a PITA getting at them for a first look! To get them completely clear, I guess I'll have to pull the fuel lines and manifolds.

Most important though is that I'm glad I did. I found three of the coil primary wires rubbed through the glass insulation and exposed wires. You could see the gray traces left from the arcing between them.

I have to wonder how many rough running episodes that I or others have or are chasing that might be related. You can't have an arc path and expect the spark plug to work right! I may never know. I decided to take a swing at a new ignition system.

I am thinking on how to properly re-inforce the primary wiring. I believe (and jump in if anyone knows), the heat shrink can be removed between the 6P connector and the primary coil wires exposing the plug and barrel connector. If so it provides repair opportunities, assuming no broken strands, with proper high performance materials. The primary are probably 400-500 volts and are subject to bit of heat.

If I was more enthusiastic, I'd move the coil packs to the firewall as well and run new plug wires. Right now I'll settle for mounting the Ignitechs to the firewall.

I guess I have at least one CDI module that is fine, but I'm going to trash it. The other, I wouldn't trust at this point.

Last edited:
Update since original post

Update- My original post outlined my repair of an internal break in a coil output wire from a CDI module. After that I dove deeper and found more issues leading to my last post regarding my decision to order new modules and further findings of coil lead wires similar to Bob's.

Update- My original post outlined my repair of an internal break in a coil output wire from a CDI module. After that I dove deeper and found more issues leading to my last post regarding my decision to order new modules and further findings of coil lead wires similar to Bob's.

The other thing I will warn you about is replacement coils (if you need to purchase one). Chasing down ignition problems I ordered two Rotax coils from a rep in the US. The wires weren't really long enough so I decided to redo them myself. This is what I found after opened up the splice. I was glad I opened them up. I considered them unairworthy.

Attachments

• IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 71
Yikes, and it's not like those are cheap on top of it all. Did you send the vendor a picture of that handy work?

Back