What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camping places near SoCal?

Hey everyone, I’m looking to do some camping over the next few month before summer really hits. Anyone have some recommendations for some places to campy within 2-4 hours out of San Diego? (That are suitable for an RV7) The further from people the better :)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. And, if you’re willing to meet for any adventure, let’s go!

Last year we camped at Columbia, CA and Escalante, UT.
https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/2022/05/15/spring-camping-trips/

Two years ago we camped overnight at Georgetown, CA during their Fly-In. They have a nice campground there.

Previous camping trip to Payson, AZ.
https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/2020/10/26/camping-at-payson-az/

Another place with camping is Alpine County, CA.

It might be getting too hot out in the desert, but in the winter, Agua Caliente, CA has camping and hot spring pools. I think the camping at Catalina requires you pay for the yearly membership. Catalina and Oceano are great for when it is brutally hot everywhere else.

I've been contemplating some camping trips this month. Possibly Bryce Canyon, UT and Johnson Creek, ID.

I'd like to add catalina, oceano and kern valley to the list! All are great!

Those are three of my favorites. Oceano in particular is fun; they have a campground right on the field, and the ocean is only a block or two away. It's also on the central coast, which means the weather (fog aside) is always nice. Nearby is the Rock n Roll Diner, and old train car converted into a restaurant. Good tri-tip.

--Ron

Kern Valley L05

Nice little airport, out of the way at the base of the Sierras. Haven't been lately, but used to have a restaurant and nice camping area. (google says the cafe is open) Next to the Kern River.

Laird

We've had several good trips to Payson, AZ, about 3 hrs from SD area in an RV. It's in the mountains, has camp sites within the airport, and a bathroom with showers. Last time we were there they had plenty of free firewood and a loaner car for trips into town for resupply.

Payson

I second Payson. There is a restaurant on airport with pies the locals like to enjoy. The bathrooms/showers are nice, the sites well maintained and, as mentioned, firewood complimentary.
We usually get there in a little over 2 hours from OC

Back