What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN load approach auto-switches G3X Touch chart?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
I'm doing some hangar flying this morning before my next IFR lesson later today, and stumbled across an interesting behavior that I can't reliably reproduce. It seems that, in some as-yet-unquantifiable situations, loading (and activating?) an approach in my GTN navigator will not only load the waypoints into the G3X Touch's flight plan as expected, but it will also automatically switch the destination airport's chart tab in the waypoint info screen to the loaded approach. But this auto-switch behavior has been inconsistent so far, so I can't quite tell what conditions cause it. I can't tell if it's RNAV vs ILS/VOR, requires selecting an initial fix vs vectors, if I have to already be on the chart tab on the G3X Touch's screen, etc. It's a neat behavior IMO... if I can only figure out what will trigger it. :D

Anyone seen this and have a better idea (before I email the g3xpert, obviously)?

In my experience this will happen if the display can make a positive association between a chart in the chart database and the approach being reported by the navigator, and if the user hasn't explicitly selected a different airport or chart to look at.

For me, this comes under that category of subtle hidden labor-saving features that give you a little "zing" of pleasure when you realize someone actually put thought into it.

Reminiscent of the first time I landed behind the G3X Touch and the map switched to the taxiway diagram as I was vacating the runway. Like, "Of course it should do that."

For months, I'd switch the MFD to the WPT page where the approach plate was already loaded without even thinking about it. Then one day it was already on the WPT page when I loaded and activated the approach and I saw it bring up the plate right in front of my eyes. Magic. One less thing I have to do by myself.

- mark

Back