What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine saga - more bad luck!

prkaye

Well Known Member
This is unbelievable. After having to pull my engine at only 460 hours for a very expensive IRAN, almost 6 months later Aerosport had it all finished and shipped off to me. I was excited last Tues to wait at the airport on it's estimated arrival date. Then again on Wed... thurs... Fri. Daily calls to the shipper with no additional information provided. Today (monday), the shipping company (Day&Ross) are admitting they can't locate it. I fear it may be lost. I'm waiting to hear back from the Aerosport shipping coordinator to find out how the insurance process works. I paid for insurance, although i didn't ask the details.
Do any of you know how shipping insurance usually works? Would it typically be insured for a fixed dollar amount that is just paid-out? Or would it be a matter of trying to source an equivalent 460-hour engine and the insurance would pay for it? I'm starting to get very nervous about how much more money i might be out. Also, at what point can i initiate an insurance claim? Waiting to hear back from Aero Sport on these questions - but thougth someone here might know.
(Canadians - if you're buying from Aero Sport Power, i highly recommend you ask them to use the more expensive, but more reliable, shipping option from a different company. Avoid Day&Ross..their customer service is useless.)

Last edited:
Hope you insured for a declared value, otherwise they pay per pound valued as generic freight.

it was Aero Sport Power who insured as the shipper (and charged me $420CAD for it), so i can only assume they insured for an appropriate value. Looking back at my emails, Darren did say that they "have implemented an insurance policy to protect against ALL losses and damages". They apparently have had another engine lost in the last 6 months! How does an aircraft engine get lost!?

Last edited:
Yikes, that stinks. Shipping insurance is typically based on value. As a comparison, UPS charges something like 1.3% last time I checked.

So the shipper, presumably Aerosport, would have declared a value and paid the insurance costs. Upon loss and proof of contents, the carrier should pay out the lesser of actual or declared value.

Found!

It was finally found! It's been sitting on the loading dock at the Montreal depot for a week. The lady from montreal called me today to schedule delivery and she had no idea that the company's customer service team had been trying to locate it. The craziest thing is, if one of their customer service agents had simply called hte montreal depot (where it was last scanned a week ago) they would have found it.
What a relief. It arrives tomorrow, hopefully in one piece.

Back