What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy escape hammer

Tom Snow

I'm New Here
Anyone got a recommendation on a canopy escape hammer? Do the ones designed for car windows work on RV canopies?

See this video

Based on this EAA chapter testing I invested in one:

https://youtu.be/fRvQxGl4kt4

Tricycle gear vans RVs are known to flip over in wet sod or gopher holes/ trenches
Cal

Attachments

• 859BB7F6-8A42-465D-B46A-A2FB4D266749.jpeg
    859BB7F6-8A42-465D-B46A-A2FB4D266749.jpeg
    847.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Tons of this in previous threads - try a google search on: "site: vansairforce.net canopy breaker"

I bought one of those glass breaker tools a few years ago. I found it to be too lightweight and weak for canopy plexiglass. It seems to be intended for auto glass, not plexi.

I bought the Gerber LMF II knife to solve the problem. Some Army aviation units have issued this knife to pilots so they can chop out of canopies and doors in a crash. It's really hefty and well made.

I have the knife and sheath velcroed between the seats in my RV-14A. If I flip, I can just pull it off the velcro, and use the butt end to crack the plexiglass. Leave the knife in the sheath, otherwise the pointy end could bounce back into your face.

I bought a Harbor Freight crescent wrench with enough heft to hopefully break a canopy that I velcroed to the side panel, as well as an Anti-Splat canopy cracker. I also have a Flyboys Accessories canopy breaker. If I end up inverted in a cotton field, maybe one of them will be within reach. And the crescent wrench can be used to remove a main tire and wheel in case of a flat.

Consider a pair of gloves, a tool to break canopy and something useful for digging.
When my RV4 flipped, the roll bar did a good job of busting the canopy. Due to forward momentum, the roll bar bent and sunk into ground. I had about 3 inches between canopy skirt and the ground. Even if all plexiglass was removed, I could not get out. I prematurely released my seatbelts and landed on my shoulders. Then started breaking away chunks of plexiglas and digging with my hands. A difficult task upsidedown on your shoulders. Would have been better to dig hole before releasing seatbelts.
I thought I had a hole big enough to get out but ended up getting stuck. My head went through but not my chest. Luckily people in a near by house seen the crash. They came and lifted the tail of the airplane so we could get out.
What ever tool you choose needs to be easily accessible, and small enough to manipulate.

Attachments

• 20170305_154530.jpg
    20170305_154530.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 112
I have collapsible camping spade, made by Gerber I think, it has a spike on the back and the spade on the front. Folds down to about 5 inches square or so. It came in a small bag which I have attached to the front of the spar with velcro.

The thinking was if I flip it I may have to smash the canopy and dig my way out, assuming I am concious and mobile.

Consider a pair of gloves, a tool to break canopy and something useful for digging.
When my RV4 flipped, the roll bar did a good job of busting the canopy. Due to forward momentum, the roll bar bent and sunk into ground. I had about 3 inches between canopy skirt and the ground. Even if all plexiglass was removed, I could not get out. I prematurely released my seatbelts and landed on my shoulders. Then started breaking away chunks of plexiglas and digging with my hands. A difficult task upsidedown on your shoulders. Would have been better to dig hole before releasing seatbelts.
I thought I had a hole big enough to get out but ended up getting stuck. My head went through but not my chest. Luckily people in a near by house seen the crash. They came and lifted the tail of the airplane so we could get out.
What ever tool you choose needs to be easily accessible, and small enough to manipulate.
Wow, great advice, and sounds like a story about 100,000 people on this site would love to hear. Did you have a chance to write it up?

Back