What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix echoUAT with GTX-330

mitchfaatz

I'm New Here
So frustrated. I was told by uAvionix tech support that for the GTX-330 I need the echoMUX cable since it is the 330 is Mode S. Apparently Mode C is squawk code and altitude, Mode S adds another 49 parameters, so the echoMUX deals with all that. The echoMUX is on it's way to me, but removing the huge GTX-330 back connector and modifying it will be a royal pain in the hiney.

Other people have installed the echoUAT and SkyFYX-EXT WAAS antenna only (even with GTX-330 transponders) and reported success.

What am I missing?

Mitch
RV-6A

So frustrated....What am I missing?

the mental fortitude and will to deal with that connector. :D

Seriously, it sucks after you've wired one of those connectors to have to remove it to add 1 or 2 additional wires, specially if you don't have even a few inches of slack. I had that problem when I installed the 660 and wanted to connect it to both of the dual G5 setup. I feel your anguish.

I'm sure someone has done it before and they'll chime in soon and you'll have the satisfaction of one more task completed.

Mode S

Can’t be “sniffed” like Mode C using EchoUAT. Most that have Mode S don’t go the UAT route. They usually have a WAAS source, so only need adsb IN. Mode S transponders require a wired rs-232 serial connection to echoUAT for the pressure altitude and squawk code, so I read.

Batch of a job if not much service length onthe connector. Do once, last a long time. Good luck !

Can’t be “sniffed” like Mode C using EchoUAT. Most that have Mode S don’t go the UAT route. !

The 330 (not the 330ES) is a bit of an odd duck, designed when the future was thought to be TIS-A traffic. But the ADSB mandate (and the 330’s inability to function as an adsb-out box) soon caused it to be left behind in the technology race…

No 330 wire required!

I installed my echoUAT per the installation instructions which say that wiring to the Mode S transponder is not required. Works great just sniffing the GTX-330 Mode S signals via the UAT antenna. I did have to wire the echoUAT to the 430W, and that was not fun.

Wonderful to know, I stand corrected. So Mitch if you purchased an echo with waas gps you are set.

I bought the uAvionix SkyFYX-EXT (WAAS) since my 430 is an older non-WAAS unit.

So you are also passing all the tests with the echoUAT just sniffing the GTX-330 output?

That would be awesome and save me a ton of work getting that 330 cable out! I wonder why the uAvionix tech is convinced it won't work.

Quick update: I pulled the GTX330 connector, spliced into pin 24 (to pull serial data from my RS-232 Serial Encoder) and put a new pin into 23 (RS-232 OUT from the GTX-330). Hooked up the echoMUX cable, still failed the PAPR report. Oh yeah, GTX330 config screen to turn serial out on both channel 1 and channel 2. Still failing PAPR report (no Baro Altitude). Still debugging, and of course it's over the weekend so no response from uAvionix.,..

This problem is not unique to the uAvionix Echo.

When the FAA started updating their SSR (secondary surveillance radars), this problem with mode S transponders became apparent. One of the transponder manufacturers first noticed it. It had something to do with the way mode S transponders were interrogated before versus after the SSR updates. I don't know the details. And for awhile, it would still work in areas that had not had their SSR updated.

In my case, I had two issues: I had not installed the Echo with proper strain relief at the Echo connection to the UAT antenna, and the weight and maybe vibration, physically broke the Echo. Second, was the issue we've been hearing about in this thread.

I had purchased the uAvionix Echo/Safefly 2020 GPS from my EFIS manufacturer (GRT) in 2017, and installed it with the "Setup Source" being the EFIS, and the "Control Source" set to "Transponder Monitor". This 'sniffed' the transponder squawk and it worked fine until sometime in 2022.

I hadn't done another PAPR check of my ADSB until early October, 2023. I was receiving some ADSB ground stations, and did see some traffic, so thought all was well. I learned about the problems after several PAPR test flights, most of which came back "No Report Available". This result was mostly due to the broken Echo. I did receive one or two actual reports that showed bad squawk code. I think this is called a bad Mode 3A.

Solution: uAvionix recommended their MUX cable. I did not buy their MUX cable since GRT already had been using the TMAP interface for sending most info to the Echo, so all I had to do was to hook up one additional wire from the GTX330 (non-ES) to the GRT HX EFIS to send the squawk code to the EFIS, and then it sent that along the TMAP interface to the Echo. And of course, I changed the "Control Source" from "Transponder Monitor" to "EFIS/Panel".

No more 'sniffing' the squawk, but now all is working well. The lesson I've learned from this...perform a PAPR flight check at least yearly, at every condition inspection.

Back