What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 with Mooney cowl

What Pierre said.....

I give the builder an A+ for the courage to experiment and the fortitude to complete it.

"one man's ceiling is another man's floor....."

except a quick google search shows than the M20J is ten knots faster than a M20F, and the principal cause of this speed increase was the cowl. So, knowing that, why bother?

Might run cool though. Gets hot in Georgia in the summertime. It's 90 degrees at KLZU right now, headed for 95...

Maybe a replacement

Maybe he just needed a replacement Mooney wing, tail and fuselage and just used the Van's kit for the replacement parts? Probably cheaper than the Mooney factory replacement parts.

Mooney

I parted out an old Mooney and kept the engine and some other stuff. The owner of this RV is my idol :D

:).......I'd really like to know some of the specs & performance figures on it. It does look like it would run cool.

Hey, he's having a good time. I wonder what Marie thinks about it???

Cheers,

What flyinga said. Looks like the guy didn't have the money to buy the finishing kit. Been my experiance that it is the outlet that cools the engine not the inlet.

access and inspection

I don't know about the Mooney, but I would love to have the access to the engine the old Warrior I flew did. Just a couple strap locks and half the cowl opened up. I get an 6-8" little hole on the -9 to inspect the engine on pre-flight. When I get to the cowl, I will be looking at ways to modify it for better inspection access.

Sentimental Experimental?

You never know, maybe he owned the "Marie" Mooney and misses it after a damage incident or something. I can't say it looks good, but hey, it is experimental right?

RV-4 with the mooney cowl

Yes it's a Mooney that ran into an RV. I call it my Moovey. The way I see it some of you did helpe me build it with your advice, but for those of you who didn't help. If you don't like it. Just get over it.

Almost (11) eleven hours total time, @ 2000 F/M climb. better than 190 MPH @ 6000 ft density altitude.

Thanks manny
N146ZX

Yes it's a Mooney that ran into an RV. I call it my Moovey. The way I see it some of you did helpe me build it with your advice, but for those of you who didn't help. If you don't like it. Just get over it.

Almost (11) eleven hours total time, @ 2000 F/M climb. better than 190 MPH @ 6000 ft density altitude.

Thanks manny
N146ZX

Manuel, tell us some more about your plane. I am using an engine out of a 1959 M20A. I thought I might use the cooling plenum but one of the wood wing Mooney guys talked me out of it. Did you use the Mooney cooling plenum?

Where there any other parts that you were able to re-use?

I still have a few Mooney treasures on the shelf that I may use. I was thinking I might use the Mooney tail. It looks like it will fit without much modification.

The old Mooney's before the J ran real hot in cruise, and over 400f in the climb. The J cowl sped up the Mooney some 7 knots, and had a huge cooling margin. Perhaps Manny can get an STC to put the J cowl on his bird?

Me Too!

Manuel built the plane the way he wanted. And, I actually like it, because
is different, looks original and has lots of personality. If it flies well,
what else do you want?

Would like to know more about this -4. Manuel, would you give us some
numbers on performance? Handling?

Thanks, and
enjoy your plane!

Indeed, I think it shows very creative thinking and planning. Yes Manny, more info please.

I hope you will take it to LOE in October. I want to see you both. Put Marie in the back and hop on over please. :)

I really look forward to meeting you soon.

Cheers,

Back