What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

painting vans powder coating

miyu1975

Well Known Member
has anyone tried painting over vans powder coating. I was hopeing to use my silver acryglo and paint some of the interior parts that are powdercoated..ie flap brace, canopy latch.

Somewhere in the plans Van's mentions scuffing any powder coated parts that will eventually get painted.

I successfully had the stick and rudder pedals re-powdercoated to match my interior colors on the -7 and on a previous airplane, did paint powdercoated parts, just make sure you scuff and clean well. Shouldn't be a problem.

Painting Powder Coated Parts

I just went through this getting my shop ready for the build. My shelf brackets and tracks were all white powdercoat finished. I scotchbrite them thoroughly and painted with rustoleum blue. I found the finish to be very nice and smooth with no tendency to peel. Just don't break through the powdercoating and merely "de-shine" every bit of it with the scotchbrite. I wiped them down with a tack rag and laquer thinner before painting.

MVC-166F.JPG

MVC-167F.JPG

MVC-168F.JPG

Last edited:
Back