What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dripping Curtis valve

mikelupo

Patron
Hi Forum,
I need to replace a sump on my RV-10 fuel tank.
What is the NPT size? 1/4 or 3/8?
I don’t have drawings to reference.

Thanks,
Mike

1/8 “ NPT
If the drain is leaking, it is usually cause by something trapped under the o-ring. Removal and cleaning will usually solve it.

Buy a spare valve, and a few o rings for it. Toss into your traveling tool kit.

Super easy to change o rings if one gets damaged----like sitting on a sharp metal chip.

Easy to change out the valve even with a full tank----yes, you will get some fuel on your hands but not much.

pro tip

Buy a spare valve, and a few o rings for it. Toss into your traveling tool kit.

Super easy to change o rings if one gets damaged----like sitting on a sharp metal chip.

Easy to change out the valve even with a full tank----yes, you will get some fuel on your hands but not much.

If the tank is FULL, fuel selector OFF, and the tank vent temporarily capped, you can remove the drain and put in a temp plug or replacement drain, and lose almost zero fuel

Just Make Sure...

you remove the "plug" to the vent line after you install the new / repaired drain. Bad things happen if you forget it.
As mentioned above, if you have a spare drain ready to go, using a finger to cap the tank while maneuvering the replacement into position then quickly removing the finger and getting the drain started results in minimal fuel loss.
I've had to replace three O'Rings so far using this method.

If you get a spare, I recommend "opening" the valve, insert a nail, pop rivet, etc. through the hole; this relieves pressure on the O'Ring while sitting in your kit bag. I do this because I don't want the O'Ring taking a set while dry in storage.

I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations, so do what feels right / best for you.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Yeah I figure something is stuck in the valve. Happened to me before on my Archer. It was actually a piece of plastic (that stuff you peel off factory aluminum). I figure having an extra on-hand isn’t a bad thing.

My experience is that the tiny little thing fouling the o-ring is too small to see or know if you got it cleaned out. I use dental floss on each side of the o-ring along with swishing in a bit of avgas and it's ready to go. Haven't had to replace an o-ring so far. I also keep a spare valve on hand.

pwprice
RV9A

Back