What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Storage Guidance needed

JDBoston

Well Known Member
Various posts have provided some information, but I want to ask for advice directly about my situation.

I am finally at a point of being able to store my wings at the 95% complete phase and move on to the tail.

I will be moving these to a garage which is insulated and mostly kept closed, but is near the beach (not at the beach - but 3-4 miles from it). Insides are primed with p60g2. I will remove the plastic from the outside to avoid any corrosion under the plastic. I guess I could put a light coat on the outside as well if people think that is wise.

What I am worried about is mice. The house is not inhabited for portions of the year (winter specifically). I assume others may have the same concerns, so what do people do?

I have seen some 'natural cures' like Mothballs, ultrasonic devices, etc which from what I read are placebo at best.

Is this just not a concern, or should I look at suspending the wings perhaps from the ceiling somehow to reduce the likelihood of rodents making a home inside the wings? I could attempt to cover the lightning holes in the ribs, however I tend to think that paper and other things might attract them more, and steel wool seems like a recipe for corrosion.

What have others done? I am moving them this weekend.

Thanks

Last edited:
I stored mine for a year in an empty unheated garage ... had no problems with mice or other vermin. In my case, the bottom skins were just clecoed in place, so careful inspection for mouse nests was easy. A heated garage could actually be a bigger mouse problem, since the interior warmth attracts them in the fall.

Plugs

Why not make some wood plugs or a plate for the rib holes to discourage entry. You don't want them to go inside to use the bathroom or set up housekeeping. Very corrosive.

I made a mistake with mine, same type situation. I took them out the the hangar at T65 for storage while I finished the rest of the plane at home. I recently got them back to do an additional landing light and wingtip strobes. I had covered them with old sheets, but they had gotten moved up hear the doors. A somewhat salty breeze had blown in moist I suppose, then dust accumulated, and allowed the salt in the foggy breeze work on the wings. Fortunately they are salvageable to use, but a little longer and they would have had to be re skinned.
I found Boeing developed a waxy spray can product that seals the surface against this, I cleaned them up and sprayed them down with the product. Fortunately the hangar is too hot for mice I guess.

Great thread. I'll be storing mine soon and have all the probe lines and fuel lines plugged. As for the rest, it's all primed, including the exterior. I think priming is the best thing for long term storage. But I won't start that war. :rolleyes:

When I stored mine for about a year. I took paper and taped the holes in the ends of the wing, so mice would not go. If they did you could see an entrance made. I had no penetration, mice usually do not go where there is no food or interest.
You also might use mouse bait in the building as well to give them something to eat.
Dave

I left mine on their cart. The only contact to the cart is at the spar roots, which are a good two feet above the floor, and at the carpet that supports the tip.

There are mice in that hangar but they don't bother to work their way up there.

My other plane is mouse-free. I bought a rubber snake and set him loose in the cabin a long time ago. He's been doing a fine job keeping that plane mouse-free. Since he's made of rubber, he's easy to take care of.

Dave

Thanks everyone!

Tomorrow is the big day, I have a UHAUL booked, and will transport it in the wing stand.

I am going to combine several of these suggestions. Boeshield I will spray on the outside if I sense the air is a problem, but for now I will leave as is and check when I am down there every couple of months.

Plugging the lightning holes is a great idea, and I think I will actually use the aluminum duct tape that I have to do that which is similar to what was proposed.

Mice may not really be the big problem, I think it more my worst fear rather than the most likely.

I am looking forward to moving on past the wings, that was a long slog at the end, exciting but LOTS of repetition. I already built the beginning of an RV-9 so the back half of this plane should be fairly familiar.

Thanks everyone!
Plugging the lightning holes is a great idea, and I think I will actually use the aluminum duct tape that I have to do that which is similar to what was proposed.

Mice may not really be the big problem, I think it more my worst fear rather than the most likely.

a good idea to plug the holes. I bought a used kit that sat in a barn. The H & V stabs, as well as the wings were filled very large chunks of hardened dirt/clay from mud daubers/wasps. Was a real pain to get it out. It was amusing to see me shaking the wing to break it free.

Larry

Back