What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Tip Rib advice

JDBoston

Well Known Member
I have been stalled on what seems like a simple step for a while.

The Wing Tips are installed, I just put a few screws in to hold them in place because it is difficult to get them in without breaking the screws (another story for another day).

I have the aileron installed, but in order to get the tip rib and align it well it seems that it would be easier to remove the aileron. That is a pain of course because the screw that holds in aileron to the pushrod is quite difficult to install/remove. I could just disconnect the pushrod as well I suppose.

So the question is: The directions do not say to remove the aileron, but for those that did this, did you remove it or somehow do something else to move the tip rib into place in order to drill/mark?

The tips are quite easy but I will say I enjoy the aluminum work a lot more :)

I want to get these wings out of here and start the tail!!!!

I'm sorry but I fail to understand your problem. I've installed my finished wingtips three or four times (replaced my AeroLEDS) with zero issue or interference of a rib or aileron. Could you explain in a bit more detail your problem?

I'm sorry but I fail to understand your problem. I've installed my finished wingtips three or four times (replaced my AeroLEDS) with zero issue or interference of a rib or aileron. Could you explain in a bit more detail your problem?

The aluminum tip rib that you install in the aft portion of the wing tip rib requires that it be flush with the inboard portion of the wingtip when drilling it.

In order to manipulate this rib and get it straight in there I am finding it difficult because with the aileron installed there is very little room to manipulate or grab that rib to align it. I guess that is the bottom line. Now that I re-read the directions I see that I am making a bigger deal out of this than I need to.... Actually I just figured out how to manipulate the rib. Duct tape of course stuck to the rib will allow me to move the rib around.

Ughh... As an aside, I have found that whenever I am stuck I usually figure out the answer by reading the instructions again, and of course the law is that once you send an email to Vans support you figure it out yourself within 15 minutes.

Ah , now I know where you are. I think how you place this rib makes a difference on the tip trailing edge. I had to play with mine to get the rear tip of the wing tip to line up with the aileron. It's been three years since I placed mind so I do not recall how I held it in place for the drilling. Tape sounds good.

Back