What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail POV

panhandler1956

Well Known Member
Just planning around last flight with the GoPro pointing aft and flopping around a bit.

Super short video:

video.php

Let me now if the link doesn't work.

Nicely done! I've mounted cameras on the horizontal before and ended up with too much vibration. Impressed that yours is so smooth. Did you do any editing work??

As for airflow disruption, I've mounted cameras (with some obnoxiously large mounts for DV camcorders, etc.) on the top & bottom of the wings, belly, canopy, forward fuselage, vertical stab, horiz stab, and had no issue other than added drag and some yawing effect (wing mounts). Doesn't mean go be crazy with the external devices and not thinking first. But RVs are not terribly sensitive in my experience to use of external attachments of this type.

.....unless you read Scott's thread where a gas cap mounted cam raised the stall speed ......by 12 kts!

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114130

remember, you become a test pilot anytime you go up with something new! (don't 'assume'.):rolleyes:

Doesn't happen on the -8 wing (with this rig) as I've had this contraption all over it. And this is smaller than the one I had for my mini DV camera. Just sharing my experience as a video test pilot for those interested in becoming one themselves.

*Sorry for the distraction in your thread. The video is very nice and stable.*

2012-11-03_10-29-43_841.jpg

Last edited:
Back