What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Bison RV Flight Bag Owners....

kklewin

Well Known Member
If you own or have used a Bison Mountain RV Flight bag in your plane and have good things to say about it (or bad)....I finally got the facebook page up and running.

Feel free to post your comments, pictures of your bag in action, or even a picture of your plane.....

Find us on Facebook at: Bison Mountain

Clear Skies,

Kurt
www.bisonmountainbags.com

I love Bison Mountain bag. I am amazed at how much gear it will carry. I will get you a pic with all the stuff laid out, that I carry on cross country trips and race prep gear.

Got all my tools, cover, tie downs, wood planks for soft fields, batteries, spare parts in ONE bag and we use the other for clothes on long trips. We STILL have the full baggage area to use for lobsters, souvenirs, etc!

They are awesome!

Both the wife and I really like our Bison RV Flight bags. No complaints here.

Thumbs up

Love it. Tons of storage space and its made to fit an RV. Plus, it was free, from my lovely wife.

Bags

I have two of them, one for chalks, tie downs, cowl plugs and safety vest.
Other for tools, spare headset etc. Absolutely great bags for holding a lot of stuff efficiently in kind of a wasted area. As for posting on facebook. Would rather go flying. Not my thing.

Highly recommend.:D

Last edited:
Got one

Got one! Love it! Best way I have found to keep interior neat and have all your gear and equipment where you can find it. Good product; well made; durable and reasonably priced. Cannot imagine RV without one or two.:D:D

I've had one mounted behind my passenger seat for a couple years now. It makes for a very efficient use of the space. I imagine my baggage area would be a mess without it. If I hadn't mounted my ELT behind the pilot's seat, I'd probably put a second one right there. These bags are a great product, and I highly recommend them.

We are very happy with the bags also, but I agree with Snowflake, I think Kurt wants us to go to his FB page and say so.

However I will NOT do FB. Too big a target for folks who misuse the internet.

Kurt - I do like my bag. Very well built. However, I have to remove it to access the inside. It would be nice to have the bag designed so you could reach the large compartment from the back, (err... front?).

Kurt - I do like my bag. Very well built. However, I have to remove it to access the inside. It would be nice to have the bag designed so you could reach the large compartment from the back, (err... front?).
Do you have it installed backwards?

The intent is that you tip your seat forward to access the main compartment flap. If your seat can't tip forward, then the bag may not be a good choice for your RV.

Do you have it installed backwards?

The intent is that you tip your seat forward to access the main compartment flap. If your seat can't tip forward, then the bag may not be a good choice for your RV.

No, it's not backwards and I understand.
My back brace is "wedged" in position and not really easy to pull forward in the position i have it in. Top access to reach in would make things easier for me.

Last edited:
Rob,

The design intent was to lean seat forward to access main compartment. Most RV's I looked at builders didn't put the hinged support in and just rested the seat back against the support bar (mine included) so I designed from that angle. The other smaller pockets should be accessible without seat movement. Also, I don't have mine "strapped" in with the retention straps, so maybe that inhibits things for you too. It can be turned around (backwards) too, but will just take up a bit more space.

As far as Facebook goes, I'm not "techno savvy", nor was I a Facebook fan...but once my kids got on it (and I needed to monitor it!) I found it was a neat way to share all our family activities with family and friends. I especially enjoyed connecting with cousins and family that before "took work!" and now it's as simple as posting on Doug's site....so late to the game, but wanted another way to share our bags that are getting much more diverse (GA, RV, Airline, Travel, Hunting, and Skiing). But I "get it" from those that don't use FB.....it, like this site, will suck you in from time to time but I enjoy seeing what my friends are doing, building, and flying....

Cheers,

Kurt

I think I will remove the support and see if I can get used to that seating position. If not, oh well, I still like the bag. Putting the weight as far forward as possible in the baggage area is a good thing.

One more comment. A split zipper on the back lower pocket would make it easier to get in there too and would allow you to open up just the top of the pocket so stuff wont fall out the side when you open it. Pretty minor.

The support should be loose enough that the seat will tilt forwards on command anyway... That way you can adjust the tilt by moving the support to the different places.

You can try the "no support" position by just tilting the support out of the way as the seat tilts back. If I recall, the support will sit above the crossbar with the seat fully reclined.

The support should be loose enough that the seat will tilt forwards on command anyway... That way you can adjust the tilt by moving the support to the different places.

You can try the "no support" position by just tilting the support out of the way as the seat tilts back. If I recall, the support will sit above the crossbar with the seat fully reclined.

"Should be". It is obvious to me now that I did not shim the angle correctly prior to drilling it. They are very tightly wedged when in that position. Funny, I always assumed that was the way they where supposed to be. I never noticed. I am now cussing your stupid bag Kurt for making me discover an error that I didn't even know I had made some 12 years ago!, and Rob, your going on my list too! :)
I might just have to drill that angle out and fix it so I can properly use the bag. I am feeling pretty dumb right now.

If you're talking about the angle that attaches to the cross-member, I think it's probably correctly installed. It should sit with the top flange parallel to the top of the crossbar.

What you might not have done is bend the flange on the end of the seat back support to match it. Most I have seen have a slight bend at the end of the support, the last 1/2 to 3/4 inch, that lets the flange sit flat on the top of the crossbar.

If you're talking about the angle that attaches to the cross-member, I think it's probably correctly installed. It should sit with the top flange parallel to the top of the crossbar.

What you might not have done is bend the flange on the end of the seat back support to match it. Most I have seen have a slight bend at the end of the support, the last 1/2 to 3/4 inch, that lets the flange sit flat on the top of the crossbar.

Thanks Rob. I think it is a combination of that and the paint thickness. I will get it fixed.

Great stuff

I've had two of the behind the seats type for years. I have found they will hold everything I need for extended travel with room to spare. Since they are made for the purpose, they maximize the space.

I carry virtually every tool you can imagine, cleaning stuff, lots of towels, parts box with bolts, nuts, screw etc. I also carry an extra starter wrapped in a towel on my long trips. There is still room to spare.

Access is easy by folding the seat forward. When I need to work on something, I lift the bag out for easier access.

For my new 7 I'm going to have a couple of new ones made with material to match as closely as possible with my interior leather.

Great stuff. You won't be disappointed.

I got this for Xmas from my "older cousin" Don Alexander. Love it! Thank you Don and Kurt for great product.

toolbag.jpg

Back