What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are both external steps needed for A model slider canopy?

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I am just finishing the installation of the right external step and it went pretty well but before I install the left step I was wondering if I would not save weight, reduce drag and save frustration etc. if I stopped with one? I am going to have a slider canopy.

For those flying an "A" model, do any of you have just one step? Is it difficult to climb over from the opposite side when entering? Since I have never even been in a RV of any sort, I have no idea about entering one :(

No big deal to cross over when boarding. Also no big deal to have both steps, the speed loss is not measurable. Some will claim multiple knots, but the basic calculations do not show that to be likely. Climbing into a 6A (7A's and 9A's are much higher off the ground) is not trivial without using a step, so don't plan on that unless you've tried it. Some will say no big deal, but I'm 6' and in good shape, and it is not convenient.

There is one major problem though - you have not had an RV ride yet! I'll be someone in your area would be happy to help out with that.

I have no steps on my 6A and it's no problem if you are limber with the right technique. A 7A or 9A is a bit higher at the wing trailing edge so unless you are over 6 feet and really limber, steps on both sides might be in order.

I put steps on both sides of my -9A.

You really do need the steps on the -7A and -9A unless you are an acrobat. The wings are really too high to reach without the step.

When I carry a passenger, the passenger briefing usually starts with helping them into the plane. I don't think it would be reassuring to them if I had to step over them in order to get into the left seat.

So, install both steps and be happy. :)

Regards,
Mike Schipper
RV-9A - N63MS
www.my9a.com

Both steps? YES

Only young flexible non-skirt-wearing attentive people over seven feet tall would ever be able to comfortably and safely make it into the right seat without damage if I had no steps.

In my experience, even pilots need boarding instructions to avoid damage to my bird. Everyone seems to want to grab the canopy or windscreen.

Go for 2 steps! You'll be glad.

Me too

This was one of the practical things my wife insisted on. Reno racer Cris Furguson told me in their location there wouldn't have much effect on speed. I have rationalized it was the right choice.

My friend Ken Knowles, who used to sell T-18s, built an RV-6A and he did not put steps on it. We met while sharing two corners of a big hangar at Chino to finish our planes in 2003. I was 6' 2" in my youth but that is long gone probably more like 6' when I can stand up straight; Ken is shorter. I do an exercise routine every day including a set of 100 push-ups Ken is thin and plays golf. I get in and out of mine just fine with the steps and so did Ken in his without steps. I flew with him up to Mojave (near Rosamond) when he sold it and getting in was doable but more demanding for me. I was 67 and Ken was 84 at the time.

I don't think installing only one step would cause you any big problem in flight. They may have offset the vertical stabilizer by now but there is (was) a tendency to require right rudder. A single step could contribute some yaw force in flight. Personally, I would install both steps if you are going to install any.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I'm with Vern (good analogy) and Bob, especially when giving rides to those less agile than they used to be and for those who are height-challenged (kids). I have two steps and have never regretted it :D Rosie

PS: Jim Payne flies Ken Knowles' RV-6A to work into Edwards AFB daily...

Thank You Rosie

Rosie. I copied your post and mailed it (through the US Postal Service) to Ken. He was so happy to hear the news that he called from California to thank me. Unfortunately, I was at the airport working on my lower cowl baffling mod but my wife said he sounded great. I believe he is 87 now. He is very interested in the RV-12 and I have no doubt he could build it in a year if it were available. It was very thoughtful of you to provide the information about the state of his RV-6A. You made two active old guys feel pretty good.

Thanks,

Bob Axsom

Back