What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

which tach sender?

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Want to put a tach sender on my engine so that I can have an RPM reading from both the mag and Lightspeed during the ignition check. Problem is, space may be tight. See pic. I know others have this oil filter location.

Which tach sender can be used here? The stock one that Van's sells, maybe the smaller UMA one, or get a 90 deg adapter or what?

img_0912.jpg

Last edited:
Tach Transducer

Hi Scott,
Van's sells the transducer in two flavors. One is just the transducer, and it mounts directly to the accessory case. This is the version I have installed. The other includes a drive cable, and allows the transducer to be mounted remotely on the firewall. You might just order the remote version and see if you need the drive cable.

Mike Schipper
RV-9A - N63MS - Flying
www.my9a.com

If you go with Van's sender...

you will need the cable drive unit. The direct mount unit does not have clearance with Mattituch oil filter pad. Good luck.

Sender

Try Westach. Several to choose from, and the unit is self energizing requiring no outside power source. They can also add "power curves" required for you particular installation.
T88

Back