What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleco pliers

Nick172

I cannot find my cleco pliers for the life of me. Is there a place locally I can get them? I do not mind ordering them, just do not want to wait a week when I need them now.
I live in Cary, NC if anyone in NC is reading.

Thank you,

If you have a harbor freight near by they sell them, they are the exact same that came with my ishams kit just with black handles. Oh ya and only $4.00

I keep one set here at home...

...and one set at the hangar in Siler City. Either PM me or post a phone #.

I am also in the EAA Chapter 1114 phone directory...

I have 4 pairs, one in each bin of clecos and one in the toolbox. Its the only way I'll find a pair when I need them!

nick172, ...

...I will be at "It's A Grind" coffee shop tomorrow morning in Cary, Highhouse Rd and Davis Drive. I drink coffee and read from 7am to abt 9am. I will have a set of Cleco Pliers in the car if you want to BORROW them until you get yours. Ask for Noel, they know me.

Nick,

I still can't find one pair of pliers. I have been all through the fuselage and I know it is not in there. Same with the wings. We have roated them and nothing rattling around. It drives me crazy that I can't locate them.

This thread is making me laugh out loud! I own 3 pairs of cleco pliers for this very reason. At one point I was convinced 1 pair was gone for good--must've fallen into a trash can. Magically, 6 months later when I was doing my semi-annual tool roundup, I once-again had 3 pairs of cleco pliers. If I didn't know better I'd say some of the local hangar bums are messing with me by hiding my pliers every couple of weeks.

I experience the same phenomena with my ratcheting screwdrivers and 3/8" wrenches.

:D

RWW

Wow, many replies so quick. Thanks for the offers at the airport and at the coffee shop. I do have a Harbor Freight in Raleigh and near where I will be tomorrow. I think I will buy 6 pairs.

Thanks all.

Speaking from personal experience, your pliers are on the opposite side of any subassemblies you are standing near. There is a physical force (writer Terry Pratchett would probably say it's "Quantum") that positions them in this manner and maintains this equilibrium no matter how many pairs of pliers you introduce into your shop. The force acts instantaneously and some researchers (well, guys at the bar, anyway) postulate that it is proof that teleportation is possible and may one day be harnessed so that we can avoid door-to-door solicitors and find out where all the missing socks go. It may also be related to other phenomenon, such as the 'butter-side-down' law or the principle that a small object, when dropped, will always land in a location who's accessibility is inversely proportional to the object's importance. Further research is indicated but I have had no luck publishing preliminary results because we always seem to lose the notes after the third round.

I spent two hours looking for a step drill bit one day. I finally found it... in the drill.:eek: I was so mad I spent the next two hours putting every tool back in its rightfull place. Two days later, I was back hunting for stuff again.

Pliers

I spent two hours looking for a step drill bit one day. I finally found it... in the drill.:eek: I was so mad I spent the next two hours putting every tool back in its rightfull place. Two days later, I was back hunting for stuff again.

I had a similar problem once...spent a half hour looking for my needle nose pliers. They were in my back pocket. :mad:

Speaking from personal experience, your pliers are on the opposite side of any subassemblies you are standing near. There is a physical force (writer Terry Pratchett would probably say it's "Quantum") that positions them in this manner and maintains this equilibrium no matter how many pairs of pliers you introduce into your shop...

That is PRICELESS... Now that there is an RV-8 with wings on it taking up 90% of the garage, our data also reflects the same result!!! :p

Sheesh! And to think I just started and only have one pair! Guess I'd better get down to HF.

Speaking from personal experience, your pliers are on the opposite side of any subassemblies you are standing near. There is a physical force (writer Terry Pratchett would probably say it's "Quantum") that positions them in this manner and maintains this equilibrium no matter how many pairs of pliers you introduce into your shop.

It's quite simple, actually. A cleco plier's wave equation will collapse, upon observation, to the location most inconvenient to the observer.

You could call the thought experiment "Schrodinger's Pliers".

It's quite simple, actually. A cleco plier's wave equation will collapse, upon observation, to the location most inconvenient to the observer.

You could call the thought experiment "Schrodinger's Pliers".

:p:p:D:p:p

Best laugh in at least a couple of lifetimes!! Your comment could well be the quantum version of Murphy's law!:rolleyes:

Still laughing so hard I have had to correct a bunch of typos!:D

I had a similar problem once...spent a half hour looking for my needle nose pliers. They were in my back pocket. :mad:

I can relate to this. While on a job, my helper and I spent 15-20 minutes looking for my tape measure. My hired hand finally spotted it............clipped onto my belt.

Marshall Alexander

Have you ever noticed that the people who claim that they built their plane in just 18 hours never seem to account for Tools in the Twilight Zone?

Rampage Mode

Laughing now, but not during the event/s...
This is definitely Deja Moo (Same BS all over again). When I get stupid and start finding 'lost' things right before my eyes, or I get enraged by the constant crusade to find an object everytime I "had it just a second ago"... I go into "Rampage Mode". The wife has been briefed on this condition and knows to seek the farthest location from the shop. I will tear apart and clean the shop after one of these events even if it takes all night and skips a number of meals. Upon completing said scorched earth campaign, I find the nearest Wheat Beer or Drambuie and a nice flying magazine or whatever to calm down. The upside is it usually results in a neat shop again.

The last one lasted from 7pm to 6am and started when my hobby knife rolled off my bench and went through the toe of my sneakers.
:mad:

Cleco pliers are like screwdrivers

You CANNOT have too many. I have 5 pairs.
When I can't immediately lay my hands on a pair, that is my notice to clean the shop. :eek: There is one pair that doesn't work as well as the others. Of course, that is the one that seems always to jump into my hand....sheesh!

Same goes for screwdrivers (got more than should be legal and I still run out)

and 6" Starett scales.

Build time...

Just so you know... I spent 3 years building and 2 years looking for my cleco pliers. That is a fact.

I find that I always leave the cleco pliers in the cleco can and that works pretty well for me. I have 3 cans.... so.... 3 sets of pliers now.

Now where did I put those clecos...

My shop has three work stations, each station has a coffee can of copper and siilver clecos, six cans and six pliers. Occasionaly the things still get "lost"

I have 3 cans.... so.... 3 sets of pliers now.

Now where did I put those clecos...

You better check. Cleco pliers are alive. I'm convinced. I had 5, down to 2. I'm getting more. Thinking about painting them Dayglow Orange or something.

Cleco pliers are definitely a mystery to the building process.

Back