What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best location for panel switches

dwilson

Well Known Member
I am building a 9A tip-up. As I look at multiple panels most people seem to have the togle switches all lined up along the bottom of the panel.

It occurs to me that if I put the switches along the top of the panel just under the glare shield it would acomplish 2 purposes.

1) There is not much room there with the tip up canopy and the switches might fit beautifuly in that tight location.

2) The glare shield might make a good place for me to stabalize my hand when operating the switches in rough weather.

Any insights???

Duane Wilson

Switches across the top

I placed mine across the top and love it. They are up in plain view, it actually freed up panel space to put in my Dynon unit since the instruments can be moved down on the panel where it is straight on the bottom instead of fighting the curve across the top.

T0_-1_1057227.JPG

And at night, this looks darker than it really is....

T0_-1_1057224.JPG

Last edited:
My master, avionics master, mag switches and starter are along the bottom. All other switches are across the top. Flying -6, tip-up since '93. Works great and I wouldn't change a thing.
Mel...DAR

I never thought of that. You guys just caused me to spend an hour on e-panel builder redoing my panel layout. Great idea!

Planning on flying IFR?

If you plan on flying IFR, I recommend NOT putting switches at the top. Put your instruments as high up and as close to your field of view as possible. Switches would displace them down, most likely.

Also...fwiw, my switches are LIT by virtue of the light shed under the instruments. The switches on my panel don't have any dedicated lighting and they don't need any. Put 'em up high and you probably will need dedicated lighting. More complexity.

Just a counterpoint for the file. YMMV

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D

Switches on top of panel

Duane:

There are numerous published works on the value of panel locations versus safety. Expert consensus on erganomics suggests that the top of the panel in front of the pilot is the prime real estate and should be reserved for those items most valuable to safe flight. This topic deals with forward field of view (FFV)and primary field of view (PFV). FFV is the area a pilot can see without moving his/her head while PFV is the area a pilot can see with little eye movement. The body of knowledge states that primary flight instuments should be in the PFV thus, forming the genisis of the 6-pack: top dead center is the ADI; to its left is the airspeed; to its right is the altimeter (keep it straight, on a safe speed and out of the dirt). Maybe this is not as impotant to a day, VFR only flight but, toss in night or IFR and the value of that real estate grows significantly. This is why many high end, commercial aircraft place indicator lights or a caution panel on the end of the glare shield where a pilot will instantly see them. Also, you don't want to be turning your head any more than the absolute minimum when using instruments to avoid vertigo.

The February 2006 Kit Planes has a timely article discussing these issues and also points out additional benefits of standardization to include resale value.

I don't look at my switches unless I need to actuate one; I look at my primary flight instruments with GREAT regularity. I for one, reserve the best real estate for the most valuable use.

As always, "Your results may vary".

Jekyll

Resist the urge to be an individual

I was going to say put it in a standard location in a standard grouping.

However looking at Walters self admitted non-standard configuration, there is no Resale issue here. It is a thing of beauty and although not totally the Cessna / piper six pack switches along the bottom of the panel config, it looks clean and logical.

The only thing I would say is a mass amount of switches all grouped together may look good but may be a little "shot gun" approach might be better operationally, even if it does not look as good. What do I mean.

I grouped all my ON (at the beginning) and OFF (at the end) once a flight switches in one group: master/alt/ignition/start/avionics master.

In flight switches, Trim, flap and fuel pump are near the power controls.

The lights: strobe/nav/panel, are in an another grouping.

I think you should place them so they are not accidentally hit (guard if needed) and that they will not hurt you in a crash (knee in toggle switches). I am not a fan of the flip up cover for anything than an occasional switch, but switch guard bars are nice. Toggles may need protection more than Rockers.

Make sense to me, but to each is own. Of the above examples you got so far I don't think you can go wrong, they all look nice (I might even steal a few ideas). :D

George

Last edited:
Mine are grouped accordingly so that my mind (and only my mind) can
understand the grouping :)

Top Row: Nav/Strobe | Lndg Lt | Pitot Heat | Ebus Alt Feed
Middle Row: EFIS 1 | EIS | AP | Stby Alt
Bottom Row: Bat. Mst/Alt | Left EI | Right EI | Fuel Boost Pmp.

Single button above the rows of buttons is the starter switch.

Top, 2 x 5

N17hhActualPanel.jpg

Because of the extra width of the GRT and the narrowed distance to the release handle, this was wasted space. Also, this makes it easy to remove them as a block for maintenance or changes. The sequence is such that it is top row, left to right for starting.. and so on. These are SCB's. There are a few breaker-only's in logical places like next to the flap switch or next to the master. I was so fed up with not being able to read the labels on the switches on my C-150 (below the yoke) that I decided, upon advice, to go with this, even though it is not comparable with a stick. I agree about the IFR scan, but this still makes sense when using and EFIS.

Switch location

I echo the prime real estate comment.
I put my switches along a bottom channel attached to the panel.

The only problem I have is that when I get out of the aircraft, my left knee wants to turn the master switch 'ON' I may put a switch guard on it, but in the meantime, I have an idiot light that lights up when the master is ON and the engine is OFF.

So now it's idiot proof. I just have to make it fool proof and I'll be set.

Vern Little
9A

Switches at bottom, Warnings at the top

I opted to have a totally unconventional panel, using an EFIS instead of round instruments. When it came to switches, I grouped them along the bottom of the panel according to function. I also put the least-used switch, the starter switch, all the way to the left, and the flap switch just above the throttle.

This is a VFR panel, and I plan to be looking out the window rather than at the instruments. But if there is a problem I want to know right away. I placed three warning lights at the top of the panel, so they stand a better chance of grabbing my attention.

panel1.jpg

Mike Schipper
www.my9a.com

Back