What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is the best airpark community in the northern or central part of Florida?

The big ones are Spruce Creek and Leeward Air Ranch. Love's Landing also has some builders.

Cannon Creek (Lake City)

Check out Cannon Creek in Lake City Fla.. Several RVs there, and fairly large community. I have a friend that lives there building a -9A

I know some folks who live at Woods and Lakes Airpark near Ocala. It's a quaint and friendly little place. Lots of Packer fans around there, for some reason. :D
The runway is paved and in great shape, but like the name says, it's surrounded by woods and lakes, so it wouldn't be the best place for test flying.

Haller Airpark near Jacksonville has a nice grass strip. They have a very active building community there, mostly dominated by Panthers. (Dan and Rachel Weseman, the Panther people, live there.) The runway seems more spacious than Woods and Lakes, but it's still surrounded mostly by woods.

Last edited:
There are quite a few RVs at Haller, as well. My 7 is still under construction as are a number of others. Additionally, there are a number of completed 4's, 6's, 7's and I think a 9 or two. Many of the Panther builders previously built and still own an RV. "Haller East" is a new section with large lots (5 or 10 acres, I forget) suitable for a new home and hangar. EAA Chapter 1379 meets there the second Saturday of every month at 1000 hours at a hangar on the west side of the runway. You can't miss it-just look for all of the RVs parked outside. Th chapter is very builder oriented.

I suppose I should've clarified my "domination" statement by saying the weekend we were there, there were Panthers everywhere over Haller! :D and an RV-4 doing combat and formation with them. And vintage airplanes, too. I'm jealous of you who live there.

Willam Wynn (flycorvair.com) is also based at Haller. Although the RV and Panther builders are the largest in number, there are some wood and fabric folks, also. Dan and Rachel Weseman, Paul Salter, Bob Wooley and the rest of the Panther folks have bent over backwards to help me with my RV. They just love aviation and building and epitomize the character of Haller. If you stop by, come and say "Hello." I'll be the one wearing a Panther shirt and building an RV on the west side of the field!

I'll say there are RV's at Haller - when I went there to fly the first Panther for the magazine, I took off and got bounced by TWO local RV-4's. No harm done....seems like a very nice community.

(I'm afraid I had to decline to engage.....)

Haller air park

I was at Haller this past weekend and the activity piqued my interest for when I'm ready to permanently migrate south. Like mentioned earlier, a lot of builders and RV's on the field.

We looked from Florida to New Mexico. The three airparks we liked in Florida are, Leeward, Loves Landing and Cannon Creek.

I'll say there are RV's at Haller - when I went there to fly the first Panther for the magazine, I took off and got bounced by TWO local RV-4's. No harm done....seems like a very nice community.

(I'm afraid I had to decline to engage.....)

They wouldn't have had a chance if you had been in Tsam!

It ain't the arrow, it's the indian. The -4 guys were most likely former military fighter jocks.

Tony

Granted, Paul is not an ex-military pilot, but he does have LOTS of pilot experience, AND Tsam is an RV-3 with an IO-320 and a WhirlWind CS Prop. One could make the argument that Tsam is the best flying RV of all. Of course you had an RV-3, so you should know yourself an RV-3 with an IO-320 and a CS Prop wouldn't be a slouch. That's the Arrow part.

I've flown with Paul, and he's a pretty good Indian himself. :cool:

Last edited:
Granted, Paul is not an ex-military pilot, but he does have LOTS of pilot experience, AND Tsam is an RV-3 with an IO-320 and a WhirlWind CS Prop. One could make the argument that Tsam is the best flying RV of all. Of course you had an RV-3, so you should know yourself an RV-3 with an IO-320 and a CS Prop wouldn't be a slouch. That's the Arrow part.

I've flown with Paul, and he's a pretty good Indian himself. :cool:
The prototype Panther has a Corvair, but the other Panthers on the field are lighter than an RV4 and have O-320s. I won't judge til I fly em both! (Sorry for the thread drift!)

Last edited:
Back