What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TK's RV-8

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkatc

Well Known Member
I finally feel like a builder although I know I have just begun.

Workshop is just about done but I know it will forever be changing.
garage.jpg

EAA workbenches on wheels!
12.jpg

Harbor Freight special!! Fabrication table.
_DSC0138.JPG

Database!
_DSC0006.JPG

And of course, stress relief!
photo4.jpg

I got my tail kit a couple of weeks ago and the Russian helped my do inventory. He instructed me to debur everything before assembling anything.

So, here are all the parts (except for skins) deburred.
_DSC0005.JPG

My first rivet!! The Russian came down to help with the first rivets. He says he wont build again but he was like a kid in a candy store. He couldn't wait to fire up the gun. So...he bangs home the first one!! Complete with a SMILEY :), there goes my Lindy award!!
_DSC0001.JPG

The rear HS spar is clecoed and ready.
_DSC0002.JPG

_DSC0003.JPG

_DSC0004.JPG

Nice shop

Your way too organized, I'm sorry you will have to sit with the engineers at lunch. Did you get the fridge from a Norhwest Pilot? ;-)

Where are all the parts, tools, and random c**p strewn all over the floor? I hope you don't think it's going to be pristine like that for more than a day???

Please don't be a neatnik and embarrass your fellows...

Did the Russian tell you to do do this?

Congrats on getting your build underway!

... not sure how much longer the Jeep will warrant garrage space :)

Last edited:
Trying to keep it as neat and organized as possible. I didn't realize how DIRTY deburring was going to be. Black greasy soot. Shavings of aluminum and wood everywhere. I wonder how long before one of the cars gets its first flat tire from aluminum shavings...

I also didn't realize how expensive builder assistance was going to be. Vlad helped me set 6 rivets and it cost me 2 quarts of Aeroshell, 1 Champion filter, an entire bag of BBQ chips and 1 beer. That comes out to approx $8 per rivet!! :eek::eek:

Even Jay Pratt doesn't charge THAT much! :D

Where are all the parts, tools, and random c**p strewn all over the floor? I hope you don't think it's going to be pristine like that for more than a day???

Please don't be a neatnik and embarrass your fellows...

Did the Russian tell you to do do this?

Jerry,
His neatness on the pictures is just for the show and desire to make it to VAF front page. He has all those fancy deburring tools and when he runs them thick dust clouds everything Jeep included. His shop is equipped with machinery enough to built a 737. Except somebody didn't send him promised dimple dies and he borrowed mine not aware of coming rental bill :D

Other then that, great job cousin! Smiley was made on purpose. BTW do you know you souppose to prime bare aluminum? :eek:

I also didn't realize how expensive builder assistance was going to be. Vlad helped me set 6 rivets and it cost me 2 quarts of Aeroshell, 1 Champion filter, an entire bag of BBQ chips and 1 beer. That comes out to approx $8 per rivet!! :eek::eek:

Even Jay Pratt doesn't charge THAT much! :D

Now you multiply 14,000 rivets by 8 bucks and get a conservative estimate of your future Lindy winner :D

Typical oligarch. I think that russian needs to come west with the RV-1. Not sure I can afford his visit, but I could maybe buy him a beer in a 100yr old ghost town saloon

I want to see candid photos of this shop after some major assemblies are completed. I predict there will be aluminum dust on all surfaces, tools everywhere, clecos in the corner covered with spider webs, and no more beer left in the fridge. Ask me how I know this.

Jim Bower
St. Louis
RV-6A N143DJ - Flying at last

Continued with the forward HS spar today. I took the RV sportair workshop that I found very helpful....but it was 8-9 months ago so I have already forgotten a lot of what they taught. Progress is slow as I teach myself how to read plans, interperet rivet nomenclature and associated drill bit numbers.

Today I bent the 6 degress into the reenforcement angle. It was a scary step for me. Probably sounds stupid to an experienced builder but this is one of the steps I can see myself messing up.
_DSC0001.JPG

Turned out well I believe!!:D
_DSC0002.JPG

Matches up perfectly!
_DSC0003.JPG

Good bends in the spar as well.
_DSC0004.JPG

My first dimple!! Yeah!!:D:D The rivet sits NICE!
_DSC0005.JPG

Had to research EAA videos to refresh my memory on countersinking. At first I thought I had to countersink the INSIDE of the reenforcement angle and my countersink bit would not fit in such a tight spot. I was about to use a plain 1/4 drill bit when it dawned on me I was about to countersink the WRONG side of the angle. Now I can see why mistakes are easy to make. I wonder how many parts I will have to re-order...:cool:

Here is my forward spar finally looking like an aircraft part!! It turned out great so far. I am really enjoying this building stuff. I can only hope the more complex tasks are as enjoyable...we'll see. :D
_DSC0006.JPG

BTW, the shop IS getting messier and a bit more disorganized...but it is a controlled disorganized. :)

The HS404 and HS 405 seem to be a difficult area for many builders, myself included. I hope I dont have to re-order any of these parts. I am being super cautious and probably overthinking the entire task. I KNOW I am wasting too much time on this also.

I might have spent 2-3 hours just to drill these holes. Edge distance is the focus here. Hopefully these holes will line up and comply with distance minima.
_DSC0009.JPG

_DSC0010.JPG

Anyway, it finally looks like an airplane part.
_DSC0007.JPG

_DSC0008.JPG

Here is that same HS405 part installed and still causing confusion. There is no way to maintain edge distance minima here....:confused:
_DSC0011.JPG

I HAD to make my first call to Van's here. I talked to Gus, funny sort of guy, he says of course, there is no way to maintain the distance here. The HS405 flange cannot be pushed far enough forward to achieve the proper distances so just keep everything lined up as good as you can...and DRILL!!
_DSC0012.JPG

Finally drilled the 4 holes through the front spar and HS404. Definately not perfect but could be worse. If Van's gives the Okay here I will build on.

_DSC0014.JPG

_DSC0015.JPG

Tony, it looks like you did a better job here than did I. I added a third rivet in the middle to make myself feel better...
DSCN3014.JPG

Drilled the right side as well. The HS404 holes turned out much better but the HS810 hole is questionable at 7/32 edge distance.
right%2520side%2520close%2520up.JPG

right%2520side.JPG

Another call to Van's and Gus says the angle is fairly thick material that shouldn't give me any problems. It is only off by 1/32 so he said "Build on". I expressed concern about the edge distance on the HS404 of the left side pictured above and he was quick to dismiss my concerns citing that the angles (HS810 and HS814) are the primary concerns here.

I am having a bit of trouble getting over small imperfections even after I have gotten the OK from Van's. Guess I'll have to work on that...

Thanks for the encouragement Miles!! I would have to add a 3rd rivet to each siude if that were mine so I wouldn't have one side heavier than the other!! :D:D I think I worry too much. Probably common amongst brand new builders.

These 2 tools are AWESOME!! Deburing seems to be a drag but is much improved with thet screwdriver and deburing bit. No need to mention the pneumatic squeezer.
_DSC0001.JPG

All HS parts are deburred and ready for primer. I plan to prime all non-alclad parts and mating surfaces.
_DSC0005.JPG

Skins are dimpled!! The DRDT-2 does a very nice job!
_DSC0004.JPG

Still have to dimple the ribs then its off to priming and assembly.

Looking good so far! If I ever get the oppurtunity to build another RV, i'd choos an 8. Nice choice on beverage (muscle milk that is)

Everything is dimpled and deburred. My priming philosophy is all non alclad parts and all mating surfaces. Ready for primer, I hope I don't mix the right side pieces with the left side pieces.
_DSC0007.JPG

A light scouring with scotchbrite soaked in warm soapy water. Then shoot it!!
_DSC0008.JPG

Right side is ready for assembly. I would have completed washing and priming the HS but I had to go to work. :mad:

Why did you prime those ribs? They are alclad.

Huh? :eek: They didn't come wrapped in vinyl so I assumed they were NOT alclad. The spars come wrapped so I assume they ARE alcad. I hope you are wrong but no big deal either way. This is why I need you to VISIT more often. Instead you keep flying all over the country!! I may have to call our UNCLE!!

Started the final riveting. Rear spar is fairly simple. Especially with the pneumatic squeezer.
_DSC0013.JPG

_DSC0014.JPG

_DSC0017.JPG

Front spar was more challenging, of course!
_DSC0012.JPG

The edge distance of HS404 and HS405 turned out OK.
_DSC0009.JPG

_DSC0010.JPG

_DSC0011.JPG

Started riveting the HS. Finally. Top side is looking good!
_DSC0020.JPG

BUT...after the rivet gun mishap...I was left with this dent! The smiley club!
_DSC0019.JPG

Needless to say I was VERY disappointed.
_DSC0018.JPG

I made a post in the general section asking for advice. I got some great ideas and I was able to fix it and BUILD ON!

After the repair, it looks much better. Still a drag but I am told this is common with new builders and I have joined the club sooner rather than later. Why not get it out of the way!! :D
_DSC0021.JPG

_DSC0022.JPG

All clecoed and ready for more rivets!
_DSC0023.JPG

Besides the repair...these are the only rivets I set today. Even I couldn't screw THESE up! :)
_DSC0025.JPG

Last edited:
Pressing on, my riveting got good in a hurry. Which I'm glad about because making mistakes SUCK! I am starting to figure out what they mean by the emotional roller coaster. There are sessions that go bad and you feel like you had your legs taken out from under you. Then there are days when nothing can stop you!
_DSC0026.JPG

Shop heads are acceptable.
_DSC0027.JPG

In this next picture you can see where I was scratching the alclad with the bucking bar on the bottom row. I got better by the time I got to the top row. Still some scratching but cut it down about 80%. Now I am down to 95% scratch free.
_DSC0028.JPG

Finally done with the HS. Took about a month. The learning curve was steep and still climbing...
_DSC0029.JPG

_DSC0030.JPG

My helper (wife) took this pic. I even taught her how to use the pneumatic squeezer for a couple of rivets on the rear spar!!
_DSC0033.JPG

My first victory beer!!
_DSC0035.JPG

Looks good

Nice job Tony - yeah, we all get those #$%@ dents. Are you using a swivel mushroom set? Also, put some duct tape on your bucking bar where it will touch the spar and you won't get any scratches.

Tony's parts factory is well under way! Nice job pushing through all of the new learning and congrats on this milestone.

So after my Ireland vacation I am back at it. The VS is fairly basic and easy to build. I should have started on this part first.

Here is the assembly all clecoed together.
_DSC0001.JPG

_DSC0002.JPG

Match drilling the skin:
_DSC0003.JPG

_DSC0004.JPG

Dimpling and countersinking the rear spar and doubler:
_DSC0006.JPG

_DSC0007.JPG

Priming mating surfaces:
_DSC0010.JPG

_DSC0008.JPG

_DSC0012.JPG

_DSC0011.JPG

Ready for final assembly but I had to clean up the shop after Russian invaded to fabricate oil cooler doubler. I figured he would help me clean but not a chance!! We made his part then stole a few beers and insisted I fly him home!!:eek:

Shop is clean! Fridge still has a decent selection!
_DSC0015.JPG

_DSC0016.JPG

_DSC0017.JPG

Riveting the skeleton together.
_DSC0018.JPG

_DSC0019.JPG

_DSC0020.JPG

The skeleton is complete. I would have riveted the skin and been done but it will have to wait. I had to take care of the flying RV before continuing the RV under construction. Faulty P-Mag...

Ready for final assembly but I had to clean up the shop after Russian invaded to fabricate oil cooler doubler. I figured he would help me clean but not a chance!! We made his part then stole a few beers and insisted I fly him home!!:eek:

snip

Sometimes it's good to have Irish relative with well equipped shop and a mode of transportation. I didn't create much dust :)

1.jpg

This is some serious doubler tingy. Tony even got a blister bending the right angle out of heavy gauge.

2.jpg

Wait, a little more grinding....

3.jpg

And then he flew me to my airport. What a guy! Missed two pizzas and didn't say a word.

4.jpg

Now back to TK RV-8 :D

Looking great !!!

I'm just a step behind you, priming.

Love the Guinnesses in the fridge !!! :cool:

Another small hurdle accomplished today! I finished the VS. Some of those rivets are difficult when using the pnuematic squeezer, I had to go to the gun because the rear spar rivets intruded upon the squeezer space.
_DSC0004%2520%25282%2529.JPG

There were a few rivets I drilled out and re-riveted and of course some are not perfect but overall, I'm happy!
_DSC0006%2520%25282%2529.JPG

I had to mate the finished pieces together for the obligatory picture!
_DSC0005%2520%25282%2529.JPG

_DSC0001%2520%25282%2529.JPG

_DSC0003%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Moving on to the rudder next....I have a feeling things are going to get a bit harder from here on out.

Thanks Bryan!!

Started the rudder today. Had to make the stiffeners. Pretty easy but took a lot longer than I expected. I like to think they are perfect though!
Notice the Alumi-dust...
_DSC0002.JPG

Stiffeners complete!
_DSC0003.JPG

Clecoed the stiffeners onto the skin. Amazingly, the work just as advertised, they STIFFEN! The skin was much more rigid with the stiffeners in place.
_DSC0004.JPG

_DSC0005.JPG

_DSC0006.JPG

Match drilled and deburred the skin. On to dimpling and back riveting.

Sometimes it's good to have Irish relative with well equipped shop and a mode of transportation. I didn't create much dust :)

1.jpg

This is some serious doubler tingy. Tony even got a blister bending the right angle out of heavy gauge.

2.jpg

Wait, a little more grinding....

3.jpg

And then he flew me to my airport. What a guy! Missed two pizzas and didn't say a word.

4.jpg

Now back to TK RV-8 :D
You are doing a great job but I would advise you to wear your safety glasses when making metal chips with any machine. It only takes a split second to loose an eye. Remember, always think safety... Just my .02... ~J~

Well hurry up Eric!! I want to follow you so I don't make the same mistakes!!

LOL...

Hey Tony, one promise I made to myself was NOT to hurry...

Mistakes are too easy to make as I did one with one dimple...

Your work is looking great !!!

Deburred, dimpled and primed.
_DSC0007.JPG

_DSC0008.JPG

Time for backriveting. Haven't done this yet so research is in order. Also started to look ahead towards the rudder skeleton..."Fabricate" is new!! More research!!

Building has taken a back seat to life, maintaining an RV-7A, and HEAT!! It's been too hot to work in the garage. I am trying to remedy that situation with this second hand fan I bought off of craigslist.
_DSC0016.JPG

The fan works well but the temps have cooled a bit here so we'll see. I may just open the door into the house and use the fan to blow cool air conditioned air into the garage. :confused:

I did manage to build the brake for bending the trailing edge of the rudder...and other edges if need be, I think it turned out pretty well.
_DSC0013.JPG

_DSC0014.JPG

...I did manage to build the brake for bending the trailing edge of the rudder...and other edges if need be, I think it turned out pretty well....

That's the same concept as the one for my Rocket, but it seemed to me to take an inordinate amout of force to complete the bend.

This is the bending apparatus I borrowed from another local RV-7 builder/flyer. He is a retired finish carpenter, and the working edges of this brake are so flat and square that when they're closed it looks like a single board. Having the working part of the brake on the narrow edge like this provides much more mechanical advantage than using the wide sides. The disadvantage is that you have to be very careful to not overbend.
DSCN3195.JPG

Less than a minute after the previous photo:
DSCN3197.JPG

New airplane parts come with a known history and a price to match! I opted to buy a set of quick build wings spawned from a WANTED ad I placed here on VAF.

I had to fly 2.5 hours to inspect the wings but I needed an experienced builder to help with the inspection. Anybody know this guy?
_DSC0022.JPG

The wings checked out to be as advertised and an agreement was made. But now I had to drive 500 miles to pick them up. The last thing I wanted was to damage them in transport. So....I procured this rig for the haul!
photo.jpg

Driving through Baltimore and DC can be rough in a car...ROUGHER with a large truck and trailer! Surprisingly, those cities weren't bad, but south of that was backed up for MILES. Stop and go driving at 20 mph SUCKS!! After a couple of hours of that...I was in the clear...65 miles per hour is nice. BUT it didn't last long as I encountered torrential rain.
P2.jpg

It took 11 hours to reach my destination. I was supposed to get a room and rest up for the return trip. My co-pilot suggested we load up the wings immediately and drive all night with minimum traffic and no thunderstorms but he wasn't the one driving on 3 hours of sleep (I worked the midnight shift the night before).
p3.jpg

He convinced me to press on...I called ahead to the seller and he said he was ready to load the wings whenever I arrived.

First we secured the cradle to the trailer floor.
_DSC0029.JPG

Good and secure!! I-95 is not the smoothest road in the country.
_DSC0030.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back