What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 Tailcone Wiring

rjm727

Well Known Member
Page 10-14, Step 8, has us routing wiring (WH-00057 and WH-00059) along the j channel through the F-01407 and F-01408 bulkheads. I have everything clecoed in place but I am not comfortable with routing the wires (unprotected) through the bulkheads. I am concerned about chafing as time goes by. Has anyone else changed the wiring routing? I am thinking about running some conduit through the lightening holes and running the wires through there. Any issues with this?

Last edited:

Attachments

• 40AC9485-F963-4BB8-8871-766B87A804D2.jpg
    40AC9485-F963-4BB8-8871-766B87A804D2.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 219
Tailcone wiring.

After doing the fuselage joining, I found out that on the Garmin system the power to the pitch trim which comes through the pitch servo is supposed to be shielded as is the ELT wiring and possible the taillight depending on your application. I made a decision to remove the connectors at the fuselage join and run shielded wires front to back. I feel much better about it now. The harness supplied for the roll servo is also an issue. Why put connectors 6" from the servo when the servo itself has a connector?

JET:cool:

I don't think there's much risk of chafing if you secure the bundles on either side of the bulkheads as shown in plans. I found the trick to be taking care when final-installing / riveting the side skins to be sure nothing gets "pinched". Once the side skins are riveted in place, the wires won't move (therefore little risk of chafing) if secured on either side. Wrapping the bundle where it passes through bulkheads is a good idea but might make it harder to trace a problem wire later or run more wires through the channel.

Last edited:
Properly secured wires won't chafe. I would also advise against using zip ties. In Naval aviation, Zip ties are not used expect for very specific locations because they create stress points that can cause wires to fail. Lacing (spot ties) should be used instead. Tying spot ties is an art too. A simple square not is not a properly tied spot tie. A lot of people on here refer folks to the AC 43.13 for metal repairs. I would refer you to NAVAIR 01-1A-505−1 for wire repair. Below is a link to the NAVAIR technical manual and below that is the excerpt regarding zip ties.

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/downloads/wiring_pdfs/navair_manual.pdf

69. SELF-CLINCHING CABLE STRAPS (ZIP TIE).
The use of plastic cable straps is strictly prohibited in
all instances (refer to AS50881). When maintenance is
to be performed on a wire bundle secured with plastic
cable straps, only remove enough straps to affect the
appplicable repair. Upon restoration, install lacing
tape/tie string (A-A-52084, or A-A-52083) (refer to
paragraph 68). Specific installations requiring plastic
straps are to be called out in platform/aircraft-specific
manuals.

Thanks for the reply and pic. Seems there is plenty of room to run conduit through the large lightening holes?

It was always my understanding that the ELT wiring should go outside the bulkhead in case a crash happens so that the line can't be severed. I dunno how to source that though, someone could have made it up.

Back