What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Trutrak Products

Jamie

Well Known Member
I searched but didn't see any threads on this yet. Trutrak's website has been updated with some new products. Awesome, awesome awesome stuff. I like neat little gadgets as opposed to big monolithic ones sometimes, but that's just my thing.

gemini_new.jpg

gemini_EMS.jpg

gemini_AP_780.jpg

Pertinent info here.

I have known about this for a while but couldn't say anything and it was killing me. For small panels or limited space this is the stuff. Good thing I saved a space for a round hole in my new panel. :D

So does anyone have any idea of price and availability for each model?

Gemini ADI
Gemini EMS (Engine management)
Gemini PFD (ADI with AS & ALT)
Gemini AP 780 (Standard Autopilot)
Gemini AP 880 (Autopilot with GPSS/V)

It's on their regular site under "What's new at TruTrak", but no prices yet.

They start at $1,300... at least that's what I heard from someone that was at SnF... will see tomorrow for myself :)

I saw them yestiddy....

...and just what I was looking for to repace my ADI II and still have a backup horizon and vertical guidance for total autopilot control down the ILS.

I asked if they were beta testing and was told, "Not yet, but soon". Really neat drop-in replacement for the round ADI series.

See guys....the squeaky wheel gets the grease!! I and a few others have wanted an AH and unwilling to give that up in order to have VSVG capability.

Like Dynon, GRT and AFS, these guys listen and make us happy.

Best,

I have an ADI 3.
I just sent it in for repair, for the second time. The first time they fixed it quick, No Charge. This time the mask 'fell over' and the track reads about 30 degrees off from the Garmin 295 it gets data from.
I would like the new format and the Gemini looks like a winner. If it's a hit I would expect to see the old "mechanical faced" units dropped from the product line?

3 1/8 inch ADI is history

The rep at SnF said the # 3 1/8 inch will be discontinued and the new one will be available at the beginning of next year. A plain Jane AI will be about 1,000 dollars. Sales pitch was that it will be much more reliable than current one. I need one now but will wait for the new one. It looks good. He said it will get heading info from your GPS. I have a 396 and he said no problem.

Last edited:
Ballpark price

You are correct about the basic unit estimated price $1000, the one with airspeed and altitude $1300.

The 780 (DIIVS on steroid) autopilot $4500 and the 880 (DIIVSGV) $5500

The engine monitor $1500 plus pobes.

Alex De Dominicis
Trutrak Rep

Alex,

So that is:
Gemini ADI - $1,000
Gemini EMS (Engine management) - $1,500
Gemini PFD (ADI with AS & ALT) - $1,300
Gemini AP 780 (Standard Autopilot) - $4,500
Gemini AP 880 (Autopilot with GPSS/V) - $5,500

For ADI/PFD & APs, is it a true AI pitch indication and not vertical speed like the current ADI?

And I assume I can upgrade my 3 1/8" ADI for say a Gemini PFD or 7/880?

Too good to be true?!

Okay...let me see if I have this straight, which is quite doubtful...

The present cost of the Digiflight II VSVG stand alone autopilot is $5200 per the TruTrak website.

The tentative price of the new '880' is $5500; which not only includes all the features of the Digiflight II VSVG, but also:

Airspeed Indicator
Altimeter
Velocity Vector Display
Pitch Attitude Display
Bank Angle Display
Vertical Speed Display
Track DG
Slip / Skid Indicator
Standard Rate Turn Indicator
Low Airspeed Warning

Hmm...the 'extra' $300 for all the added features is the 'too good to be true' part (which my dad always warned me about :) )

So...is the $5500 the total cost, or do we need to add in the $1300 for the Gemini PFD base price for a total of $6800?

Hoping for 'too good to be true',

Tom
RV-4 flying for 21+ years
Building RV-7A (holding off until the last possible second to order full IFR instrument panel goodies and backups in order to get the latest greatest...and from TruTrak's 'latest' I'm **** glad I've waited!)

You are correct about the basic unit estimated price $1000, the one with airspeed and altitude $1300.

The 780 (DIIVS on steroid) autopilot $4500 and the 880 (DIIVSGV) $5500

The engine monitor $1500 plus pobes.

Alex De Dominicis
Trutrak Rep

Last edited:
Tom,

That is my understanding also. The only downside; availability won't be until 2Q 2011!

I have been waiting for this also and would have been happy with the DIIVSGV features in the ADI form factor. That way you have autopilot and backup in one unit.

The other question I have is if the heading indication is a true heading or GPS track? I'm thinking it is a GPS track since you would need a magnetometer for a true heading and TT stopped including these in their autopilots a while back. Would be nice if it was included again.

I'll chime in. DG display will be GPS ground track, as usual.

Pitch display will be just like our EFIS, selectable between velocity vector or pitch attitude.

Prices on the 780 and 880 are servos included. No additional cost. :)

I'll try to check back here and answer any other questions.

I told you guys to come to Sun n Fun! ;)

Thanks Lucas..2 questions...

1)...so, if I want the 780 for vertical guidance on ILS's, I simply replace my ADI II head with the 780 and swap elevator servos for a trim sensing one?

2) Is the connector on the cable the same? Plug and play?

Thanks again for an incredible solution,

I think you will need the 880 to drive it from the GPSS and GPSV (arinc) ports of the 430W...

I'll second the question above and add one:

1. Is the connector plug-and-play with a II VSGV?
2. What is the trade-up policy / cost?

:D

Pierre,

You'll need the 880 with GPSV.

Trade in policies haven't been decided at this time. We'll work hard to make the connector as close to the same as we can. Thanks!

Very very small screen

I notice that no-one has mentioned how small the screen is on this new TruTrak offering. My guess is that it's under 3" diagonal.

That size of screen is way smaller than the smallest Dynon and I'm wondering out loud if it is realistic to have a 6 pack PFD on such a small screen. I'm not certain I'd like to be flying in serious soup with so much info crammed onto such a small screen.

I notice that no-one has mentioned how small the screen is on this new TruTrak offering. My guess is that it's under 3" diagonal.

That size of screen is way smaller than the smallest Dynon and I'm wondering out loud if it is realistic to have a 6 pack PFD on such a small screen. I'm not certain I'd like to be flying in serious soup with so much info crammed onto such a small screen.
For use as your PFD, then yes, it's probably not ideal...

However, for what I believe is their intended purpose - a 3.5" backup with the lot - then they're about as perfect as you're going to get in the one instrument. You only have to look at the old mechanical backups on the airliners of yesteryear, their ASI and ALT tapes were a lot less user-friendly than the Gemini offering...

Last edited:
KRviator is correct. They are intended as backup instruments, not as primaries. At this time we haven't decided if we are integrating the AHRS or using a separate module. Most likely we will integrate it like our ADI.

still under development???

Its been a year since they announced this gemini series of autopilot heads. Floating this thread back to the top. Is this Gemini project under development anymore? Did anyone at Sun n' Fun ask Trutrak about this? I'd like to get one but need to make a purchase pretty soon. I'd like to understand if this project has been cancelled all together.
Thanks,
Brad
RV-8 wiring

KRviator is correct. They are intended as backup instruments, not as primaries. At this time we haven't decided if we are integrating the AHRS or using a separate module. Most likely we will integrate it like our ADI.

Yes, I understand. But when the primary fails in soup...the back-up becomes the primary. That's a LOT of information on a VERY small screen for a pilot attempting an IFR approach. Obviously it would be considerably better than nothing at all but I'm just thinking aloud when I wonder it it would be ideal in those circumstances.

Yes, I understand. But when the primary fails in soup...the back-up becomes the primary. That's a LOT of information on a VERY small screen for a pilot attempting an IFR approach. Obviously it would be considerably better than nothing at all but I'm just thinking aloud when I wonder it it would be ideal in those circumstances.

As previously mentioned, you have obviously never seen the standby peanut gyro in a business jet... It is fits in a 2 1/4" hole and it tiny by comparison to the Gemeni. I can't wait for the autopilot version. The 880 will have altitude preselect!!! Yippeee!!!!!

Even with my altitude alterter I have busted altitude on long climbs a couple times... One time I got the dreaded call from the feds. They did an investigation and all I got was a letter in my file that falls out in another year.

I can't wait for Altitude preselect.....

I think what they are doing with these is exactly what we need for a backup. I can't wait to try one out! If the finished product looks like the renderings they have posted it should work out just fine.

I can't wait for Altitude preselect.....

No need to wait Doug - I have it now in the -8 with the GRT/TT combination, as well as the mew -3 (G3X/TT combo). You just have to commit to glass....;)

And yes, it can really save your butt flying single pilot IFR!

Paul

Its been a year since they announced this gemini series of autopilot heads. Floating this thread back to the top. Is this Gemini project under development anymore? Did anyone at Sun n' Fun ask Trutrak about this? I'd like to get one but need to make a purchase pretty soon. I'd like to understand if this project has been cancelled all together.
Thanks,
Brad
RV-8 wiring

Yep, still working on it. Let me throw out some info on what actually happened. We were needing to get some displays around the middle of last year, for develpment purposes. We were told we could have them no later than August. Well, August rolled around and we got informed that Apple, Inc. had purchased ALL of the displays and controllers. We were unable to even get a single one for development purposes until late January of this year. So we lost at least six months of development time on the project due to that.

This is true, but the Gemini will have more usable viewing space for attitude than a mechanical, vacuum operated gyro.

Last edited:
I saw them at Sun N Fun. I want one. the 3 1/8 gemini will fit perfectly where my backup airspeed indicator is currently. Better yet, it is already plumbed up. I just need to run a power lead.

My personal hope is that this new Gemini 880 will allow for the same functionality of the GX pilot. Specifically allowing the G3X to remote control the Gemini 880 from the primary G3X display. That would be the ideal solution for me.

Well, August rolled around and we got informed that Apple, Inc. had purchased ALL of the displays and controllers. We were unable to even get a single one for development purposes until late January of this year. So we lost at least six months of development time on the project due to that.

So, which Apple product(s) does the Gemini series share a display with?

Important question Jamie, I would sure like to know so I can find one and see how sunlight readable it is....

So, which Apple product(s) does the Gemini series share a display with?

I wish I knew, honestly. This is all passed down info from the company sales rep for the displays. If you were at Sun n Fun or are going to be at AirVenture, you'll be able to see the display. It is a transflective display so sunlight readability is not a problem at all.

It may not be the entire display. It may be components that are common, processors typically.

We are having the same problem with Industrial Automation items. Large companies like Emerson want 1000 pieces of X...... and Apple want a million. :rolleyes:

Back