What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waxed lacing

Plummit

Well Known Member
The builder of our -10 was an artist on the wiring bundles using waxed lacing in the FWF area. I've tried to find the lacing but wanted to know what others are using. There are 2 types of lacing used on my plane: Some small black stuff that laces the control grip wires to the stick; and some white lacing in the FWF area. The white stuff feels "waxie" to me. Recommendations?

~Marc

Let's get real specific . .

Breyden Products makes the tapes, that is what it is called.

Here is a data sheet for the black polyester with synthetic coating. It ties nicely, strong and good to 350F. So - ok for FWF. Look up the mil spec on the data sheet if you really want the documentation for the temperature capability or compare nylon vs polyester tape.

After looking at these specs, and using the tape - it is a no-brainer for top performance, light weight and lowest cost. I was able to use this a get a good tight connection in areas unreachable with zip ties or anything else.

Now you can purchase where you desire for the same specs.

I did not like the white with wax feel - Looked up the specs and selected the black/synthetic. Very happy with that. You might want tight fitting gloves if you intend to work with it for a few hours. It can make your fingers hurt. And a spool holder with a cutter. It makes the work so much faster. Then look up the correct knots and practice.

YMMV

I made this for laying under the panel. Just clamped it with a spring clamp to something. The cutter is a firewall stainless scrap. Stainless cuts everything! An example, you can do better.
GVJ7enzKqGiADLvqKYwGEVyGbu5lnu_LdCRQOi1ayNZ-6QURg1_T_Hc7QJqSu6JxWlfuZ5vvWyb6gkQlbReus3LFm5BF5cJYQiO7dQNUM0wTRvHrcYmcuKOeBPKc6Appbwk07j3_Qh0PU9amP-c6Wqe5XxbEFiAji1MXaec3t-5M2wGz4klHLx6Ntn3BAOju6YqnDgPTS8MFpuZM0CsZRn0VJGlR_xaQD1AvaB9aoHWETxg49sgtbwk9A7vR-47dFY0a3wcfCTmj2BGEaY3JqhhYYrWiZM9u83TksNoABLNDR_tM41x-Cpc6TxYTmEtGsdkDx_YIirMmrDxQ9oM7Kmw96DpNUK7atzi5-XASunmu7N_stWyAFrAJjuataSs2_JANsaq0N7thh8n_bK_pUC4z927qdah4-Bw2OoG9qNQftSHZi0Jyg1irOjPsDDSX-QeSz5CUb_CVth0OKF66xE4B4GUmK2Gnhx__io2DkyVpW_i2GA7U4KO3ZWSPPBCobYWl5Pn65cHQBF1E-q-4vwMOqiUOT-8O8iPG3JvUmp56gNA0_9Rix4pIE1_qLbobm8E7L9T9kKbOpSiAb-2Lb-MVsc_SgIwx5wde3SVmPl1ucjK0sPWj0V5vOsoYys_qiL25hPIe-jdRTCB4RlvQeHIIvYGILk2t7uDrYK5ReQ=w543-h723-no

Last edited:
I love lacing cord - use it everywhere. In fact, I had to do lacing on my A&P Practical exam (I wonder what I'd have done if I had only used zip ties, like lots of modern folks....). I bought a roll of the black from Stein about three airplanes and twice that many panels ago - needed a new roll on the most recent project. A real bargain.

Paul

And if you want to know how to do it right, look up NASA-STD-8739.4. There's also a pictorial document which illustrates all of the correct *and incorrect* ways to do wiring, everything including crimping, bundling, lacing, soldering, splicing, etc.

Paul,

You can take the guy out of NASA but you can't take NASA out of the guy. A harness that has been laced by a skilled technician is a work of art and typically results in a well thought out wiring topology.

+1 on NASA reference documents.

-larosta

NASA document

And if you want to know how to do it right, look up NASA-STD-8739.4. There's also a pictorial document which illustrates all of the correct *and incorrect* ways to do wiring, everything including crimping, bundling, lacing, soldering, splicing, etc.

Wow! Thanks. I love the black lacing cord. Looks like my knots were correct. I hate zip ties. Eventually they crack and fall off. I've seen lacing over 20 years old a d had to be cut to remove it.

Back