What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OAT probe location

cardinalflier

Well Known Member
The previous owner of my RV6 installed a Dynon OAT Probe on the rear tailcone under the stab forhis D10a install. The adahrs unit is in front of the stab under the fairing. I upgraded to the Skyview (which I love), using the same location for the adahrs unit and the OAT probe. On the ground, my oat reading is accurate, but in the air my reading is 10-20 degrees high because of exhaust. I'm looking for suggestions on where to move the probe to, maybe under the rudder fairing? I would like to keep the probe at the rear for ease of new installation, less wiring to move or splice. Thanks, Bruce

The OAT probe on my RV-8 is mounted on the under side of my wing. Mine works satisfactorily. No apparent temp increase from the exhaust.

Richard B. has his mounted inside the NACA vent on the fuselage of his RV-6.

Both of us will be out there today in case you want to have a look or need some help.

I have two totally independent OAT sensor, one in the NACA vent and one under the wing in the wing root area. Both read 90% of the time the same value and the other 10% at most is 1F different. To the best of my knowledge and testing, they report correct value, certainly on the ground where it can easily be tested.

Sure

We looked at this for some time before settling on a good spot. Under the wing, just to the inside of the first inspection plate. That spot gets the probe away for the engine and prop slip stream and puts it under the wing so it will be in the shade where the sun will not give it a higher reading. You can put them anywhere you like but we just wanted the lowest % of correction factor to be preset into the mounting sight and still give us a clean easy to service location. Your call on this one. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I'm putting mine in the inspection panel for the wing. That way I'm not putting a hole in the wing skin. I can always make a new panel if I want to make a change.

Back