What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'm finally in the club!

jeffkersey

Well Known Member
I have been admiring these airplanes and looking for one to purchase for over a year now. Tuesday, I finally purchased a flying RV7A and flew it from North Carolina back home to Tennessee. Exciting stuff. After 12 years of flying, this is my first airplane purchase. I have been lurking on this site and am blown away by the community of talented and generous people flying Van's aircraft and sharing knowledge and ideas. Thanks to all who contribute here. I am sure I all be spending lots more time here in the years to come. All the best to everyone in 2016 :)

Blue Skies & Tailwinds,

Jeff Kersey

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

Congratulations!!

I have been admiring these airplanes and looking for one to purchase for over a year now. Tuesday, I finally purchased a flying RV7A and flew it from North Carolina back home to Tennessee.

IMG_2090.jpg

Jeff, congrats on the new bird, looks like you have "The Grin" for sure.

Congratulations Jeff! Enjoy your new ride but don't get distracted on preflight. See that middle camloc? :D

I did see it....

Congratulations Jeff! Enjoy your new ride but don't get distracted on preflight. See that middle camloc? :D

I am going to have to fix it. It would not attach The bottom half is gone. The builder put a ton of them on the cowl and it is not coming off....

Where do I get those parts?

I did see it....

I am going to have to fix it. It would not attach The bottom half is gone. The builder put a ton of them on the cowl and it is not coming off....

Where do I get those parts?

Your first airplane purchase!!!

Well Jeff your just now starting your journey of true freedom, you can go get in your very own airplane any time you want and fly it anywhere you want and never asked permission from anyone. Total freedom, Congratulations!!!!

Congrats Jeff! I remember the same experience 3 years ago with my 8. Come to one of the Saturday breakfast fly-ins....would love to see your bird.

Way to go Jeff!!

Congrats. Love the plane, and the hat!!

Guy from TN wearing a Gibson hat? Wonder what instrument you love to play!!!

I have a 1959 Blond ES-225 and a 1996 Red Blueshawk. Love them both!

Enjoy your plane, they are the best!

You are so right russ

Russ, I am looking forward to not being concerned about getting back in time for the person scheduled behind me in a rental plane. I am looking forward to all my stuff being where I left it in the airplane and everything configured the way I left it. I am really excited about the speed and economy it will afford me. Many adventures to come...

I like the numbers too... :)

I sure enjoy seeing another -7 showing 170 knots!

Congrats,

Pierre, I really like seeing it too. I hope I can keep myself from running it that hard in the future. Wanted to beat the weather home and get home before dark.
I did not beat sundown but I did beat the sleet and snow. She would not have been happy with her new man if he left her out in the cold on her first night in TN...

I will get intimate with this plane and get a better grip on range vs economy. Is it
bad to run it 2600rpm if temps are ok? Temps were all in the green exempt I could never get my oil temps up. just tickling the bottom of the green (140).
I guess I might have to tape off the oil cooler or something in the winter?

Saturday Breakfast

Congrats Jeff! I remember the same experience 3 years ago with my 8. Come to one of the Saturday breakfast fly-ins....would love to see your bird.

Tracy, I'd love to come to one of your Fly-in breakfast in Choo-Choo. Problem is I am traveling for business every weekend from mid Feb till the end of August. Do you have any after August?

Gibson Guitars

Congrats. Love the plane, and the hat!!

Guy from TN wearing a Gibson hat? Wonder what instrument you love to play!!!

I have a 1959 Blond ES-225 and a 1996 Red Blueshawk. Love them both!

Enjoy your plane, they are the best!

Chris, I love all kinds of musical instruments. Gibson guitars included.
My life is music, airplanes, motorcycles, my wife, family, and friends. Not always in that order... Looking forward to this new chapter that includes airplane ownership :)

Saturday EAA breakfast

EAA has them all year round. 1stSat.=Winchester, 2=Guntersville,AL, 3=Moontown,Al, 4=Dayton,Tn. If there is a fifth Sat. In the month=Fort Payne,Al.

Congrats Jeff. We just joined the club back in November and absolutely love our RV-7.

FYI,
There is a monthly fly-in breakfast down in Clifton, TN on the second Saturday of every month. Nothing too big, but good breakfast and some cool planes. I've only made it a couple of times, but plan to do it more now that I have an RV. Hope to see you there.

From the email...

Hassell-Carrol Field
Clifton
Airport
Fly-in Breakfast
Keep in touch with us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clifton-Airport/730300107051759
Saturday January 9, 2016

And Every Second Saturday

8:00 am until 11:00 am

Y?all come have Breakfast with us and Come Hungry.

Menu for the Breakfast is
Sausage, Bacon, Biscuits
White Gravy,Eggs
Real home fries

Donations Accepted
But not Required

When arriving and departing please take the time to over fly our beautiful town.

Thanks Terry

M29

Clifton, TN 38425

Ph: 931 628-6212

Very nice aircraft, thank you for sharing your joy with us. There is nothing like turning on the computer and seeing something good to start our day.
Enjoy your new ride.:)

Congrats Jeff

Congrats Jeff.
I did the same thing purchasing my -6 many years and upgrades ago!
Welcome to the family.
Lots to learn and oh so fun to fly!

Enjoy

Jeff, I was in the same situation. The RV-7 I bought was my first airplane. Lots of C-172 and some glider time, but the 7 is a blast.

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks everybody for your kind words and encouragement. Yesterday, I finally got to go out and fly it for the first time since bringing it home. We have had a ton of snow in the Nashville area. I shoveled a path out of my friends hangar where it has been stored and went up and got more intimate with bottom edges of the flight envelope. My plan is to keep it at a short, grass strip, near my house but I was a little unsure if I would feel comfortable landing there in the RV. I have only landed C172's there before. Not for the faint of heart but very doable. After my flight and landings yesterday, I have full confidence in my ability to land and takeoff in distance available. Now the problem is, it is too wet to land there. I will loose the hangar I have had it in the past week this weekend as my friend has purchased an F33 Bonanza and will need his hangar back to store it in. Anyone know of any hangar space in the Nashville area I could rent short term till the weather dries up and I can bring it to my home field?

Congrats Jeff. We just joined the club back in November and absolutely love our RV-7.

FYI,
There is a monthly fly-in breakfast down in Clifton, TN on the second Saturday of every month. Nothing too big, but good breakfast and some cool planes. I've only made it a couple of times, but plan to do it more now that I have an RV. Hope to see you there.

From the email...

Hassell-Carrol Field
Clifton
Airport
Fly-in Breakfast
Keep in touch with us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clifton-Airport/730300107051759
Saturday January 9, 2016

And Every Second Saturday

8:00 am until 11:00 am

Y’all come have Breakfast with us and Come Hungry.

Menu for the Breakfast is
Sausage, Bacon, Biscuits
White Gravy,Eggs
Real home fries

Donations Accepted
But not Required

When arriving and departing please take the time to over fly our beautiful town.

Thanks Terry

M29

Clifton, TN 38425

Ph: 931 628-6212

Thanks Chuck. I hope you are enjoying your planes as much as I am mine. I am going to try to go to Dayton, TN and Shelbyville tomorrow morning. Maybe I can make it to Clifton on Saturday. In the summer, I am usually traveling for work on Saturdays...

Blue Skies and tailwinds,

Jeff

Last edited:
... Is it bad to run it 2600rpm if temps are ok? Temps were all in the green exempt I could never get my oil temps up. just tickling the bottom of the green (140).
I guess I might have to tape off the oil cooler or something in the winter?

Congrats on your new toy Jeff, welcome to the cult.

To answer your question, our engines are designed to run at 75% power and with the fixed pitch prop (Catto, in your case) that means on the redline at 8,000' DA. Above 8,000' DA, you can't make 75% power, so many run it all in.

Time to learn how to use the Search, Advanced Search function. There is a lot of info on how to run these engines.

Congrats on your new toy Jeff, welcome to the cult.

To answer your question, our engines are designed to run at 75% power and with the fixed pitch prop (Catto, in your case) that means on the redline at 8,000' DA. Above 8,000' DA, you can't make 75% power, so many run it all in.

Time to learn how to use the Search, Advanced Search function. There is a lot of info on how to run these engines.

Bill,
Thanks for the response. That is good news. I like seeing the big numbers :)

Jeff

Back