What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Apollo XIII

A5555

Well Known Member
Ever wonder where the Apollo XIII capsule is residing? Well, it's at the Hutchinson Kansas Cosmoshere. They have an amazing display.

1024px-Apollo13_CommandModule_Kansas.JPG

IMG_20150626_144340.jpg

IMG_20150626_144319.jpg

IMG_20150626_144101.jpg

I have the number "13" in my call sign but it's backwards!

funny what you notice at museum after building an airplane. for helping to close the door for spacewalks (not Apollo XIII) they used this tool. note the rivets.

IMG_20150626_142502.jpg

IMG_20150626_142515.jpg

IMG_20150626_142523.jpg

Last edited:
One of THE BEST space museums. Also have the recovered LIBERTY BELL from the Gus Grissom Mercury program - the one that sank.

I will have to put this on my travel list. I took this off their "did you know" topic: The Hall of Space Museum is the only non NASA/NASM (National Air and Space Museum) institution to display a flown spacecraft from each of the first three manned American space programs ? Mercury (Liberty Bell 7), Gemini (Gemini 10) and Apollo (Apollo 13).

http://www.cosmo.org/museum.cfm

That is awesome! I will have to put that on my list of places to visit. I have the entire mission report downloaded, and have spent hours pouring over it while sitting on layovers.

The Cosmosphere is definitely worth a stop. I've been there many times, and I'd put it right up there with the Smithsonian. And in addition to a huge number of US space artifacts, it's said they have the largest collection of Russian space hardware outside Russia. Calling Vlad...?

That is correct. They have a very good Soviet display of the "real" hardware behind glass. You can do a side by side comparison and note how each country solved the problems of space. They give a lot of credit to Sergei Korolev.

Back