What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A shoutout for AntisplatAero

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
I just wanted to give some really positive feedback to AntiSplatAero for the job done to our new wheels for N199MJ (My- Number one ninety nine, Myra Jane). The wheel bearing mods look fantastic and as promised, Allen did the work in one day and I received the returned package 4 days later. Can't wait to do my first tire change and not have to ever worry about greasing and maintaining wheel bearings. Woo-Hooo

another shout out for AntiSplat

Nose wheel bearings a bit stiff after doused with some high water (aka small flood) in hanger. James had new ones in the mail, no charge, day I called.

ASA

Agree they are great people to work with. Have many ASA mods on our plane but have not done the wheel bearing mod yet. How about a report when you get them back and get them installed.

Nose wheel bearing mod - 8A

I've had the AeroSplat nose wheel bearings installed on my 8A since before day 1. (Along with other mods.) So, no way to compare AntiSplat bearings performance to original equipment. With that being said, I've never experienced shimmy on takeoff. If, on landing, allow nose wheel to bear too much of the weight on rollout, may get some slight shimmy - that is pilot induced and should not occur. When it does occur (rarely - my bad), some moderate braking with full aft stick, quiets it immediately. Bottom line, I like 'em.

One of the big gains is not in servicing the bearings, it is the design itself.
They are not tapered. Read the details on the Antisplat web site.
The evidence of bearing lockup is worrying when you look at the video.
Allan also can balance the new tire at the time so that a mosquito landing on it will rotate the wheel. Well, maybe a grasshopper.

After almost a year after getting the ASA nose wheel bearing mod I have not felt a hint of nose wheel shimmy... :)

Victor

Back